(solved) Unable to install World in Conflict: Complete Edition

UPDATE:
The issue has been solved.
The problem seems to be ambiguous. It may have been the client software being out of date, or it may have been an issue with the installer script. Both my Lutris client got reinstalled and the install script got updated, so it is impossible to know for sure.
– original post below this line –

It takes my half an hour to download, I started at midnight, and tried trice.
Sorry is I am very brief and on point here. I need help, and sleep.
So, I just dump this here, and hope someone can help me with troubleshooting suggestions by tomorrow.

The installer downloads the files, then complains that a file is missing from a tmp folder.
Looking for similar cases, one forum post suggested checking if I have unrar installed. I do.

Here is the lutris issue report and the terminal outputs on pastebin
https://pastebin.com/wvHzH0Ka
https://pastebin.com/dbBfwfFn

Although the installer deletes the downloaded files when it cancels, I managed to make a copy of the downloaded files this last time. I hope that will save some time with troubleshooting or maybe manual installation, that half hour wait is a pain.

Looks like a innoextract issue to me. Innoextract is a utility which extracts installation files. I’ve made a new draft of the installer which uses a newer version of innoextract. The $installer name was a bit ill chosen as the main section of the script is called installer. Just to be sure I renamed it to goginstaller and put quotes around the variable name.

https://lutris.net/games/world-in-conflict-complete-ed-gog-w-dxvk/installer/edit

Thank you for coming back to me.
I’m not sure what to do with that link you sent me.
I am not familiar with how the install scripts work, so I barely have a vague idea of what you are talking about.
Could you please elaberate?

Also, I happend to have dvds of the original game, and the expansion pack.
I installed them in a seperate directory using wine. This install does not seem to run correctly, if the GOG complete edition proves a lost cause, could it be possible to make the version from the dvds work?

Sorry, I see now.
You made an edit to the install script. I just noticed it says ’ last edit made an hour ago’.
Very well. I will try to install the game again now.

Yes. You can select revisions or drafts. After selecting it, you can test it via the test button on the same page.

I see.
What I did a few minutes ago, were to go back to this page
https://lutris.net/games/world-in-conflict-complete-edition/
And hit install, as normal.
Is this correct, or should I have gone to
https://lutris.net/games/world-in-conflict-complete-ed-gog-w-dxvk/installer/edit
and hit “Test this installer”?

The second one, otherwise you’ll just get the original installer.

Got it. Running it now. I will let you know if it works.

All righty then! One step further!

Sorry, this also failed.
Here is the terminal output

2020-06-13 21:41:12,293: Downloading file 1 of 7
2020-06-13 21:41:12,797: Downloading file 2 of 7
2020-06-13 21:41:13,303: Downloading file 3 of 7
2020-06-13 21:41:27,332: Downloading file 4 of 7
2020-06-13 21:41:27,837: Downloading file 5 of 7
2020-06-13 21:56:14,693: Downloading file 6 of 7
2020-06-13 21:56:15,196: Downloading file 7 of 7
Running /home/kvagram/.cache/lutris/installer/world-in-conflict-complete-edition/tmp/innoextract/innoextract --extract $installer --gog --exclude-temp --output-dir /home/kvagram/.cache/lutris/installer/world-in-conflict-complete-edition/tmp/wic/
Could not open file "$installer"
Done with 1 error.
Waiting on children
Exit with returncode 2
2020-06-13 22:03:15,618: I can't move /home/kvagram/.cache/lutris/installer/world-in-conflict-complete-edition/tmp/wic/game, it does not exist
None
2020-06-13 22:03:15,619: Error while completing task <bound method CommandsMixin.move of <lutris.installer.interpreter.ScriptInterpreter object at 0x7f38d5ac6be0>>: I can't move /home/kvagram/.cache/lutris/installer/world-in-conflict-complete-edition/tmp/wic/game, it does not exist
None
<class 'lutris.installer.errors.ScriptingError'> I can't move /home/kvagram/.cache/lutris/installer/world-in-conflict-complete-edition/tmp/wic/game, it does not exist
None
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/lutris/util/jobs.py", line 30, in target
    result = self.function(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/lutris/installer/commands.py", line 285, in move
    raise ScriptingError("I can't move %s, it does not exist" % src)

No, still the wrong one. I renamed “$installer” to “$goginstaller”.

When you are at the edit installer page, you have to select a different version, the one with the word “[DRAFT]” in front of it.

Its at the top of the page at Load a previous revision.

I’m a bit confused.
The “Load a previous revision” element features a dropdown combobox.
The selected item is labeled with “[Draft]”. The only other item is named “changed slug version and content”.

Clicking the first option does nothing.
Clicking the second option refreshes the page, with an added query string “?revision=43434”.
The first option then remains as the selected option.

Looking at the script, I see “$installer” but not “$goginstaller”

Is the webpage broken, or do I misunderstand something?

Checking the link I get when hitting “Test this installer”, I get
“lutris:world-in-conflict-complete-ed-gog-w-dxvk”
This is the same url I get though the normal page.

I don’t know what is going on, but I’ll download the script, and apply that namechange, and try to install the script locally, instead of using a link.

Update: I figured out how to tell Lutris to install from a locally stored script. It’s running that now.

It still didn’t work.

2020-06-13 22:40:44,621: Downloading file 1 of 7
2020-06-13 22:40:45,126: Downloading file 2 of 7
2020-06-13 22:40:45,631: Downloading file 3 of 7
2020-06-13 22:40:56,657: Downloading file 4 of 7
2020-06-13 22:40:57,162: Downloading file 5 of 7
2020-06-13 22:58:26,771: Downloading file 6 of 7
2020-06-13 22:58:27,276: Downloading file 7 of 7
Running /home/kvagram/.cache/lutris/installer/world-in-conflict-complete-edition/tmp/innoextract/innoextract --extract $goginstaller --gog --exclude-temp --output-dir /home/kvagram/.cache/lutris/installer/world-in-conflict-complete-edition/tmp/wic/
Could not open file "$goginstaller"
Done with 1 error.
Waiting on children
Exit with returncode 2
2020-06-13 23:06:20,833: I can't move /home/kvagram/.cache/lutris/installer/world-in-conflict-complete-edition/tmp/wic/game, it does not exist
None
2020-06-13 23:06:20,834: Error while completing task <bound method CommandsMixin.move of <lutris.installer.interpreter.ScriptInterpreter object at 0x7f27a5bf0860>>: I can't move /home/kvagram/.cache/lutris/installer/world-in-conflict-complete-edition/tmp/wic/game, it does not exist
None
<class 'lutris.installer.errors.ScriptingError'> I can't move /home/kvagram/.cache/lutris/installer/world-in-conflict-complete-edition/tmp/wic/game, it does not exist
None
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/lutris/util/jobs.py", line 30, in target
    result = self.function(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/lutris/installer/commands.py", line 285, in move
    raise ScriptingError("I can't move %s, it does not exist" % src)
Gtk-Message: 23:06:27.473: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
2020-06-13 23:06:29,054: Cancelling installation of World in Conflict: Complete Edition

Its on sale. I hate flying blind here so I got it for myself. Let’s see what is happening here.

1 Like

Ehm…its working on my machine…

Thanks for taking so much time to help.
And hey, if you haven’t, you should play it. It is a really good game.
If the studio had not been destroyed in a merger, I’d expect we would have at least 2 sequels by by now.
Sad to see this is all there is to this grand potential of a game franchise.

Yeah. Money has destroyed many good game companies… :disappointed:

But…it does work on my machine…so the script should work. I’m going to submit it.

Trying to reinstall Lutris. Maybe something is wrong with the version I have. Shooting blind here…

UPDATE: It seems I am not allowed to post further replies for 21 hours, but here’s the thing:

I did download the install script.
Here is the commandline I tried.
lutris -i '/home/kvagram/Downloads/world-in-conflict-complete-ed-gog-w-dxvk.json'

I made sure all instances of $installer were replaced by $goginstaller

Update 2:
Reinstalling Lutris seems to have had some effect. The game is installed.
When starting Lutris after re-install, I got the option to install the game from the ui itself.
I used this option rather than getting the install url from the lutris website. I do not know if this was a factor.
The game seems to run, at least as far as to the main menu.
If the game runs as expected, I will update the title of this thread as solved.

update 3:
The first mission in the game’s campaign mode ran as expected.
The title of this thread has been updated.

Don’t think its Lutris to be honest.

One thing, you can’t just copy the script text and add it to a lutris -i call. You have to download it. My version is now called [submission] BTW.