Back to the main site

[SOLVED] Resolution changing when running games in fullscreen mode


#1

New to Lutris here. I’m having an issue where games run through WINE keep changing the desktop resolution when running in fullscreen mode. For example, Toybox Turbos sets my desktop resolution to 800x600, even though the game is configured to run at 1920x1080 in the settings. If I tell WINE to use a virtual desktop, then I get a small window with the game. However, if I turn off fullscreen mode in the game, it plays in a window the proper size. This is happening to every game I try to run, so it’s not isolated to one game. I’m guessing this is a WINE issue, but I’m not quite sure because I’ve run games in WINE before and not had this problem.

I’m running Manjaro 17.1.11.1, kernel 4.17.9-1, WINE 3.12. Toybox Turbos is using DXVK 0.52, but other games not using DXVK are experiencing the same issue.


#2

There’s a Switch Resolution option in lutris you could try out for full screen. It’s under system options. And Restore default resolution when game quits option helps if your desktop size gets messed up after quitting full screen. This happens a lot for myself. I just run it in windowed mode if all else fails.


#3

Thanks for the suggestions, but unfortunately the issue persists. The restore default resolution causes another issue for me because it sets my refresh rate back to 60Hz, when I run it at 144Hz. 60Hz causes a lot of flickering on my monitor when blur reduction is enabled, which it always is.


#4

Looks like it was an issue with DXVK 0.52. Set it to 0.64 and the issue is gone.


#5

I am also new to Lutris, and Linux for that matter.
On the Switch Resolution option you mention, I have no other option than my current resolution (3000x2000).

I successfully installed and ran League of Legends, I’m stuck at 20fps because of the resolution. I’d like to find a way to switch it to 1080p during the game.
I’m running Manjaro on a Matebook X Pro (i7+MX150). There is also no way that I could find of changing the resolution trough KDE’s settings.

Edit: Here’s my xrandr output, still can figure out how to fix:

[leonardo@leonardo-pc ~]$ xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 3000 x 2000, maximum 32767 x 32767
eDP1 connected primary 3000x2000+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 290mm x 200mm
3000x2000 60.00*+ 48.01
DP1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
VIRTUAL1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
1920x1080_60.00 (0x1db) 173.000MHz -HSync +VSync
h: width 1920 start 2048 end 2248 total 2576 skew 0 clock 67.16KHz
v: height 1080 start 1083 end 1088 total 1120 clock 59.96Hz


#6

I was able to solve my problem!

First of all, full disclaimer: I now know that my issue was different from OP’s, so I’m sorry for commenting in the wrong place. Nevertheless, I wouldn’t want to be the person to have the same issue as I had, and only find my comment with no solution, so I’m going to add what I did anyways.

It wasn’t an issue with lutris, wine, or any game in particular. It was an issue with xrandr.
This is the page I used to ttroubleshoot. Specifically the section about adding undetected resolutions.
Another tip: To find out the name of your screen, xrandr | grep " connected"

Good luck!