[SOLVED] Overwatch freezes and lags

Hi,
Overwatch runs fine but i get short freezes and lags very often
Do you have any suggestions what can i try ?
I’m using DXVK 0.8
esync-staging-pba-3.16
In wine config i disabled: allow the window manager to decorate the windoiws
Disable upsteam CMST

Not sure why you are disabling upstream CSMT. That is basically not recommended.

And freezing and lag is while the shadercache is being built. It goes away over time.

I meant that check box “Disable upsteam CMST” is not enabled = )

Well, then just play, build up a cache, stuttering should go away. Mystery Heroes is good for it. If it gtes better over time, let us know and mark this thread as solved. If there is something else, give more info about your setup, etc.

Thanks for the quick reply )

It doesn’t get better over time, it have tried to play a few games and freezes come up every 10-15 seconds till the end of the game
If you mean my pc setup i have:
Xeon x5690 ( 3.7 GHz 6/12 )
24 Gb RAM
GTX1080
and SSD
I have nvidia drivers ver. 410.57

btw i can’t find any option to mark topic as solved and i didn’t find it in FAQ = )

Do they happen at all when standing still in training grounds?

When i stand still everything seems to be ok

I installed overwatch by installing battle.net script

When i tried to use overwatch script install performance was worth and when i started playing video card got crazy and fans run on maximum speed, idk if this can be helpful for debugging )

Also i have tried to switch settings from ultra to high and performance didn’t change at all

It probably truly is shaders, it has over 30k of them, and building a cache takes time. Every time you see something new, from abilities to new pieces of map, it has to build a vulkan shader from the dx11 shader. But that gets cached, so the next time you need it will be read from cache.

EDIT: wait, you didn’t use the Overwatch installer? The regular battle.net installer clearly states it has no performance enhancements that you need.

Yeah, script might be the reason, i will try to reinstall it one more time
But i have no idea yet why it’s trying to crank up my video card

ntlm_auth: relocation error: /usr/lib64/samba/libkrb5samba-samba4.so: symbol gss_acquire_cred_from version gssapi_krb5_2_MIT not defined in file libgssapi_krb5.so.2 with link time reference

I see this error when i launch the app, krb5 installed as i see, can it cause any problems ?
Also to be able to run battle.net i had to Disable lutris runtime

I installed overwatch by direct script and deleted battlenet installer and files

Freezes still happening in a hard way and my video car is really loud now, there some messages from the terminal:

(lutris:2281): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 00:15:10.214: gtk_tree_model_filter_real_unref_node: assertion 'elt->ref_count > 0' failed
INFO     2018-10-03 00:15:13,066 [runner]:Runtime disabled by system configuration
WARNING  2018-10-03 00:15:13,067 [joypad]:python3-evdev not installed, controller support not available
INFO     2018-10-03 00:15:13,170 [dxvk]:Replacing /home/sega/Games/overwatch/drive_c/windows/system32/dxgi with DXVK version
INFO     2018-10-03 00:15:13,170 [dxvk]:Replacing /home/sega/Games/overwatch/drive_c/windows/system32/d3d11 with DXVK version
INFO     2018-10-03 00:15:13,170 [dxvk]:Replacing /home/sega/Games/overwatch/drive_c/windows/system32/d3d10core with DXVK version
INFO     2018-10-03 00:15:13,171 [dxvk]:Replacing /home/sega/Games/overwatch/drive_c/windows/system32/d3d10_1 with DXVK version
INFO     2018-10-03 00:15:13,171 [dxvk]:Replacing /home/sega/Games/overwatch/drive_c/windows/system32/d3d10 with DXVK version
INFO     2018-10-03 00:15:13,171 [dxvk]:Replacing /home/sega/Games/overwatch/drive_c/windows/syswow64/dxgi with DXVK version
INFO     2018-10-03 00:15:13,171 [dxvk]:Replacing /home/sega/Games/overwatch/drive_c/windows/syswow64/d3d11 with DXVK version
INFO     2018-10-03 00:15:13,172 [dxvk]:Replacing /home/sega/Games/overwatch/drive_c/windows/syswow64/d3d10core with DXVK version
INFO     2018-10-03 00:15:13,172 [dxvk]:Replacing /home/sega/Games/overwatch/drive_c/windows/syswow64/d3d10_1 with DXVK version
INFO     2018-10-03 00:15:13,172 [dxvk]:Replacing /home/sega/Games/overwatch/drive_c/windows/syswow64/d3d10 with DXVK version
INFO     2018-10-03 00:15:13,173 [runner]:Runtime disabled by system configuration
wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winemenubuilder.exe"

I still don’t know what distro you are on, but runtime is based on Ubuntu, so other distos might have issues with it. (I don’t use runtime myself, and i’m on Arch). And that error tells me nothing, I’m not a Lutris dev, or wine dev, I just make some installers.

And, if you are now on DXVK your GPU will be used 100%, so if you want to limit heat production, you will have to cap fps.

Can you check if you are now using dxvk? By enabling the HUD by setting DXVK_HUD from 0 to 1 and starting the game?

I’m on fedora 28

I tried to export DXVK_HUD=1 then start lutris but i dont see any changes
Where should i set this env ? = )

In the Enviroment variables of the game. Rightclick -> Configure > System Options. (Perhaps you have to turn on Advanced Options). It is set to 0 by the installer so you can easily change it to 1.

Screenshot%20from%202018-10-03%2001-18-08

Change it to: DXVK_HUD=devinfo,fps,frametimes,submissions,drawcalls,pipelines

Start Overwatch. Every time a new shader is compiled the frametimes should spike red.

2 caches are being made, that are located in the wineprefix: GLCache folder for nvidia, and Overwatch.dxvk-statecache file. Both will grow to 60mb+ over time. The dxvk cache is for when the GLCache gets reset (driverchange), it can regenerate it.

So look to see how far it is for you, and play on Trainingground doing various heroes and their ults. Every time you see something new it will stutter (the first time).

Ok, i will try, thanks a lot

Really appreciate your help

Aight, feel free to screenshot something, and post it. Marking as solved is by editing title.

I know you marked solved already. But I really want you to give feedback after some time playing, say when you are above 40mb cache.

Reporting

In practice range everything becomes smooth when i use/see it second time
So i guess this is caching problem

But the when i play quick match there are so many new staff happening for the entire game so i’m getting freezes for the entire game. I’m wondering is there any way to avoid this caching by precache ?

Also i was thinking what if to run overwatch by steam play ? Is it gonna pick up Vulkan automatically and is it possible on linux ? = )

EDIT:
Actually by playing a few quick matches i have found that even if i saw some actions before if there are lot of things happening fps goes to 5 or smth

The higher settings you play on, the more shaders you get.

My dxvk cache on low + high models: 48mb.
My GLCache: 63mb.

How far is yours? And what settings do you play on?