[Solved] Missing Vulkan Libraries (Penguin/Crostini)

Can someone help me in installing the vulkan libraries for debian + intel?

Running a game leads to the missing vulkan libraries error. However, the instructions in the github don’t talk about debian and intel.

Device: Chromebook C434
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-8200Y processor
Graphics: Integrated Intel® UHD Graphics 615

Crostini // Debian 10

My specs are able to run Vulkan.

Since I couldn’t find working instructions, I found some instructions online, and used this link: https://linuxconfig.org/install-and-test-vulkan-on-linux

It told me to use sudo apt install libvulkan1 mesa-vulkan-drivers vulkan-utils, which I did, and installed it. Now, when I run it, I get:
“sudo apt install libvulkan1 mesa-vulkan-drivers vulkan-utils
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
libvulkan1 is already the newest version (1.1.97-2).
vulkan-utils is already the newest version (1.1.97+dfsg1-2).
mesa-vulkan-drivers is already the newest version (19.2.8~cros1).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.”

I have also tried these which I found elsewhere:

'sudo apt install libgl1-mesa-dri:i386
Building dependency tree
libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 is already the newest version (19.2.8~cros1).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

sudo apt install mesa-vulkan-drivers mesa-vulkan-drivers:i386
Building dependency tree
mesa-vulkan-drivers is already the newest version (19.2.8~cros1).
mesa-vulkan-drivers:i386 is already the newest version (19.2.8~cros1).

sudo apt-get install libpulse0:i386
Building dependency tree
libpulse0:i386 is already the newest version (12.2-4+deb10u1).
libpulse0:i386 set to manually installed.

sudo apt-get install libpulse0:amd64
Building dependency tree
libpulse0 is already the newest version (12.2-4+deb10u1).
libpulse0 set to manually installed.

However, it still says I’m missing vulkan libraries.

Any help on installing vulkan libraries on debian or getting it to work? Thank you very much <3

Can you run vulkaninfo in a terminal and post the results?

$ vulkaninfo
ERROR: [Loader Message] Code 0 : /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libvulkan_intel.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
ERROR: [Loader Message] Code 0 : /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libvulkan_radeon.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32

VULKANINFO

Vulkan Instance Version: 1.1.97

/build/vulkan-tools-6bmpQy/vulkan-tools-1.1.97+dfsg1/vulkaninfo/vulkaninfo.c:3845: failed with VK_ERROR_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

Can you try lshw -c video so we can see the display drivers please.

reading about Chromebook debian the articles say you need to run these commands:
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
sudo apt update

1 Like

Sorry for the late response!

lshw -c video:

*-display
description: Display controller
product: Virtio GPU
vendor: Red Hat, Inc
physical id: 9
bus info: pci@0000:00:09.0
version: 00
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=virtio-pci latency=0
resources: iomemory:20-1f irq:9 memory:d0040000-d0047fff memory:200000000-3ffffffff

Trying the commands results in: (pretty sure I’ve done this before)

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
sudo apt update
Hit:1 https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/debian buster InRelease
Hit:2 https://deb.debian.org/debian buster InRelease
Get:3 https://deb.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates InRelease [65.4 kB]
Ign:4 https://storage.googleapis.com/cros-packages/89 buster InRelease
Ign:5 http://ppa.launchpad.net/kisak/kisak-mesa/ubuntu hirsute InRelease
Hit:6 https://storage.googleapis.com/cros-packages/89 buster Release
Hit:7 http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/strycore/Debian_10 InRelease
Err:8 http://ppa.launchpad.net/kisak/kisak-mesa/ubuntu hirsute Release
404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.95.85 80]
E: The repository ‘http://ppa.launchpad.net/kisak/kisak-mesa/ubuntu hirsute Release’ does not have a Release file.
N: Updating from such a repository can’t be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/wine.list:1
W: Target Packages (main/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/wine.list:1
W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/wine.list:1
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/wine.list:1
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/wine.list:1
W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/wine.list:1
W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-all.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/wine.list:1
W: Target DEP-11-icons-small (main/dep11/icons-48x48.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/wine.list:1
W: Target DEP-11-icons (main/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/wine.list:1
W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq.list:1
W: Target Packages (main/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq.list:1
W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq.list:1
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq.list:1
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq.list:1
W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq.list:1
W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-all.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq.list:1
W: Target DEP-11-icons-small (main/dep11/icons-48x48.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq.list:1
W: Target DEP-11-icons (main/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq.list:1
W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/wine.list:1
W: Target Packages (main/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/wine.list:1
W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/wine.list:1
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/wine.list:1
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/wine.list:1
W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/wine.list:1
W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-all.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/wine.list:1
W: Target DEP-11-icons-small (main/dep11/icons-48x48.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/wine.list:1
W: Target DEP-11-icons (main/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/wine.list:1
W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq.list:1
W: Target Packages (main/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq.list:1
W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq.list:1
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq.list:1
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq.list:1
W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq.list:1
W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-all.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq.list:1
W: Target DEP-11-icons-small (main/dep11/icons-48x48.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq.list:1
W: Target DEP-11-icons (main/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq.list:1

Outside my experience getting vulkan working with Virtio. On the Intel drivers, yep. Hopefully someone more familiar will see this and can provide guidance - though you might want to post on another site as this is not related to Lutris but a dist installation question.

AH - so you are not actually running debian. Try loading steam with the instructions online (https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-get-steam-on-chromebook-4690652) and see if the opengl games run. I don’t know anything about getting vulkan running on Chromebook through Penguin and suspect that at present there is no direct support for the virtui gpu in Mesa. To get it, you would have to install the dist and as you mentioned in the other post, you have memory issues.

1 Like

Damn. Sorry if I didn’t make it clear I was using crostini/pengiun terminal. I’m new to all of this so sorry about that.

I’m able to install steam and run opengl games (I played csgo, and it worked - not very good tho, barely functioned, took forever to load the game like 30 min just to load). Using flatpak/gnome to install steam is easier and works better in general, but still very laggy, and not that great of an experience (from prior experience).

I asked around in different forums, turns out the GPU can’t be changed to my integrated intel one, and vulkan just doens’t work with chrome os. I simply can’t run overwatch on crostini.

So, I’m probably switching to a different distro at this point. Which one (s) do you recommend? Also, do you recommend dual booting?

Btw, thanks for all the help in guiding me to this point so far, I really appreciate it!

I run Ubuntu, Suse and Linux Mint on my main box and Ubuntu and Linux Mint on my Apple Macbook Pro. Not sure what is best for your model Chromebook, drivers and firmware will be key. I heard Gallium was Ok but is your model fully supported? Lubuntu or Budgie would be option worth exploring if they have compatible drivers/firmware etc, especially for the touchpad.

1 Like

Alright, thanks for the recommendations and thanks for everything! You’ve really helped me a lot through this entire journey!

I’ll mark this as solved since you simply can’t use vulkan on crostini/penguin/chrome os since a virtual gpu is used instead of the integrated one. The GPU for the container is limited to a vistro GPU, which does not support vulkan. So, you simply can’t run vulkan in chrome os.