[SOLVED] Lutris says Radeon HD 8670 not Vulkan compatible

Hi there,

Sorry if this is not in the proper support format, but I’m new here. After struggling for hours to make MTG: Arena work on Ubuntu and getting DirectX 11 errors, I think I’m having problems with Vulkan (big emphasis on think). After checking online, AMD says Radeon HD 8000 series (from 8500 up) are Vulkan compatible, but Lutris says mine (HD 8670) is not (in system info).

I’m wondering if this is a Lutris issue, or maybe someone can point to me that my card is not in fact Vulkan compatible? If it’s none of that, then I have no idea why I can’t get it to run.

Got the same problem as of today, it worked fine before the Nvidia update came out today for my Arch machine. Nvidia 450.57, another update came out 450.66 and now it runs without problems.

Do you have the latest drivers? Maybe check this out again and update them if needed.

AMD Radeon HD 8670M is Vulkan-compatible, but you need to switch from radeon kernel driver to amdgpu kernel driver.

amdgpu is not default as it’s doesn’t support analog outputs, some customers depend on that, and it will be bad if they would get black screen after OS upgrade. So Radeon kernel driver stay default for GCN1 GPUs.

radeon kernel driver on other hand doesn’t support Vulkan, which is why you need to switch to amdgpu.

1 Like

@RussianNeuroMancer thanks a lot for that tip. I’m somewhat new to linux as well, so I’m not entirely sure how to do that. Ubuntu does not show any available drivers for update in the Software Center.

Also, I currently have dual monitors on my pc, and one of them is vga. I’m assuming that means the amdgpu kernel wouldn’t work with it? If I understood you correctly. In that case, I do have a dvi to vga connector, would connecting the monitor to the dvi port of the graphics card work?

Thanks again!

Here you can find all the needed info.

@Freeman and @RussianNeuroMancer thank you both! It took a lot of further researching (like I said, I’m still very new to linux in general), but you both pointed me in the right direction, and definitely changing the driver to amdgpu sealed the deal. Even MTG: Arena worked perfectly afterwards.

The only thing, I’m now getting these warning in the MTG:A logs, is this something I should worry about/address/fix?

WARNING: radv is not a conformant vulkan implementation, testing use only.
WARNING: vallium/llvmpipe is not a conformant vulkan implementation, testing use only.
WARNING: vallium/llvmpipe is not a conformant vulkan implementation, testing use only.

Thanks a lot again!

I’m not sure, I also get some errors like

WARNING: Experimental compiler backend enabled. Here be dragons! Incorrect rendering, GPU hangs and/or resets are likely
but the game runs fine.

Very helpful. Thanks for putting on the Lutris forum. :slight_smile:

1 Like