[Solved] I was able to play World of Warcraft, but only once (Battle.net not launching)

Hi, fellow azerothian.

First of all, excuse my common (english) as it is not my primary language (I’m more into dwarf or french).

I followed the steps to install World of warcraft, via Lutris. All the dependencies were installed, DXVK, Mesa drivers (both 32 and 64 bit) the fonts and all. I was able to play WoW, runs great, little charging icon, some tiny little freezes (I assume the terrain or the textures are charging). My almighty protpal was ready to slay some old gods.

But it only works once… I quit the game normally, restarted my computer (AMD RX460, AMD FX8300, 12Go Ram. Ubuntu 18.04.1, fresh install) and… nothing. I see the little connection window for battle.net, and I only get a “Blizzard error”.

BlizzardError

And here what I get when I try to open via the terminal :

xavier@xavierdsktp:~$ lutris
INFO 2018-09-24 00:52:13,523 [lutriswindow]:Connected to lutris.net as Oxyures
INFO 2018-09-24 00:52:16,808 [dxvk]:Replacing /home/xavier/Games/world-of-warcraft/drive_c/windows/system32/dxgi with DXVK version
INFO 2018-09-24 00:52:16,808 [dxvk]:Replacing /home/xavier/Games/world-of-warcraft/drive_c/windows/system32/d3d11 with DXVK version
INFO 2018-09-24 00:52:16,808 [dxvk]:Replacing /home/xavier/Games/world-of-warcraft/drive_c/windows/system32/d3d10core with DXVK version
INFO 2018-09-24 00:52:16,809 [dxvk]:Replacing /home/xavier/Games/world-of-warcraft/drive_c/windows/system32/d3d10_1 with DXVK version
INFO 2018-09-24 00:52:16,809 [dxvk]:Replacing /home/xavier/Games/world-of-warcraft/drive_c/windows/system32/d3d10 with DXVK version
INFO 2018-09-24 00:52:16,809 [dxvk]:Replacing /home/xavier/Games/world-of-warcraft/drive_c/windows/syswow64/dxgi with DXVK version
INFO 2018-09-24 00:52:16,809 [dxvk]:Replacing /home/xavier/Games/world-of-warcraft/drive_c/windows/syswow64/d3d11 with DXVK version
INFO 2018-09-24 00:52:16,810 [dxvk]:Replacing /home/xavier/Games/world-of-warcraft/drive_c/windows/syswow64/d3d10core with DXVK version
INFO 2018-09-24 00:52:16,810 [dxvk]:Replacing /home/xavier/Games/world-of-warcraft/drive_c/windows/syswow64/d3d10_1 with DXVK version
INFO 2018-09-24 00:52:16,810 [dxvk]:Replacing /home/xavier/Games/world-of-warcraft/drive_c/windows/syswow64/d3d10 with DXVK version
WARNING: radv is not a conformant vulkan implementation, testing use only.
ATTENTION: default value of option mesa_glthread overridden by environment.

Do you have any hint or any solution ?

Hoping I was clear enough for you to help me. If you have any question, I’ll try to respond as quick as I can.

I’ve got the same problem for about 3 days now. I’m guessing Blizzard broke some thing again as they always do.
I’ve tried all the usual fixes, reinstalled graphics drivers, Vulkan, override DLL’s in wine config, etc
I just can’t seem to fix it this time.
I can run it without DXVK fine, but the performance is terrible.
So for now I just changed the executable to WoW.exe and boot it without Battle net app.

1 Like

WoW is working fine here, so the problem isn’t with Blizzard.

If you can run WoW without DXVK, but not with it, the problem is with your Vulkan setup. See: https://github.com/lutris/lutris/wiki/How-to:-DXVK (I can’t help you with setting it up, but perhaps someone with AMD could)

If you somehow can’t get it to work, I would enable PBA for OpenGL if I were you.

About logs: You need to enable wine output for a game aswell. Just lutris -d is just the lutris part of the debugging, and it clearly shows nothing.

Testing the solution of Slimithy, it seems that only battle.net doesn’t want to start. I changed the executable in Lutris from “Battle.net Launcher.exe” to “WoW.exe” and it worked.

So, for now it is fine, until the next patch.

I have to type : lutris -d world-of-warcraft ? Is that correct ?

No, go in “configure” enable debugging output.

And Blizzard App is 32 bit, so you have to make sure you have 32 bit vulkan setup correctly for it to work.

1 Like

Owh ! Thank you ! I had mesa-vulkan-drivers:i386, but an outdated version ! (the one that comes with ubuntu packages, I think)

With what you said, I searched after a ppa or something to get a more up to date version of vulkan and I found these page (https://linuxconfig.org/install-and-test-vulkan-on-linux). Battle.net ran immediately after that !

So, if you’re on Ubuntu, use that link, do what they say and tada.

Big thank to you Dox !

1 Like

Fixed for me too, exactly the same.
:slight_smile:
Thanks for help

Fixed it for me! Xubuntu 18.04.1 LTS.