[Solved - by reinstalling games in new prefix] Wine runners aren't working anymore (suddenly !)

Hi team and others !
I’m facing a really weird and annoying problem with my Wine games.
They worked well until yesterday, and I can’t figure out what is causing the following issue…
It’s like all my Wine runners went dead suddenly.
Let me explain, everything was well configured and worked. But something (update ? Proton installation via Steam ? …) broke stuff on my system, I guess.
Now I’m facing what you can see in my logs when I use any other version of Wine than the system one (4.21 staging) or the lutris 4.21.
I used to pick the tkg-protonified-4.5 for my Red Faction game, for example, and it worked almost perfect (except some texture glitches).
But now, without touching anything, here is the result :

Here is the output of “lutris -d”:
https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/dcmYwcpkjm/

There, the “lutris --submit-issue” report:
https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/njjWzmKcVx/

The game log :
Running /home/gabul/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/tkg-protonified-4.5-x86_64/bin/wine /mnt/750ssd/Jeux Wine/Red Faction Guerrilla ReMarstered/prefix/drive_c/GOG Games/Red Faction Guerrilla Re-Mars-tered/rfg.exe
wine: cannot find ‘/mnt/750ssd/Jeux Wine/Red Faction Guerrilla ReMarstered/prefix/drive_c/GOG Games/Red Faction Guerrilla Re-Mars-tered/rfg.exe’
Waiting on children
All children gone
Exit with returncode 2

Any idea ? I’m lost, I’ve reinstalled a clean Lutris from scratch, made all my games config again (from scratch too), delete and reinstall all wine runners, check my last “apt” history (no package directly or indirectly linked to wine / lutris / gaming stuff, at all), but still the same problem.
I confirm the path is the good one, triple checked and selected via the Lutris GUI.
I’ve tried to remove any “space” inside my folders names, but same.

Thanks a lot in advance for any help / hint / tips, I don’t want to fully reinstall my PC (complex config with LUKS, raid and stuff :p).

Cheers

Edit 13/12/19: It seems that’s something related to prefix folder. I tried to create a new prefix and completely reinstall a game and it’s working. I can switch between Wine versions again without any error. Really strange, I still not understand why everything stopped working by itself. I’m searching a workaround to avoid me to reinstall all my games :frowning:
I tried to delete *.reg files inside my prefix, it’s better but not really OK because it looses every DLL replacement and I can’t remember all that were set.

What does

ls -l "/mnt/750ssd/Jeux Wine/Red Faction Guerrilla ReMarstered/prefix/drive_c/GOG Games/Red Faction Guerrilla Re-Mars-tered/rfg.exe"

print out? Because it clearly says that it can’t find the file it’s trying to open…

Hi, thanks for your answer. I know that the message means that it cannot find the file, but I didn’t touch anything and files are in the correct location. Here is the “ls” command:

$ ls -l “/mnt/750ssd/Jeux Wine/Red Faction Guerrilla ReMarstered/prefix/drive_c/GOG Games/Red Faction Guerrilla Re-Mars-tered/rfg.exe”
-rwxrwxrwx 1 gabul gabul 25172480 nov. 2 16:49 ‘/mnt/750ssd/Jeux Wine/Red Faction Guerrilla ReMarstered/prefix/drive_c/GOG Games/Red Faction Guerrilla Re-Mars-tered/rfg.exe’

So the file is here. I thought there was a trouble with “spaces” in folders names, so I changed them, but no…

OK I surrender…
Fortunately I don’t have much games in Lutris so I decided to reinstall all of these in a clean new prefix.
It’s the only solution that work for me.

I can’t understand why this trouble happened and maybe I’ll never know, but I hope it won’t appear again because it’s a real hassle to do that (and maybe I’ll have a growing list of games in the future, so I don’t want to do this again with more games !)

Perhaps someone could give a hint about the root cause of this behavior in Lutris, but I don’t think so :wink:
Cheers

PS: I’m not a complete newbie in Linux and I couldn’t find any stuff about this error, it seems that the “wine cannot find…” error is not the correct one because files are in correct locations and reinstalling with EXACT same path/options/winetricks/etc… solve the problem ! WTF :upside_down_face:

Well, it’s possible to locate the source of the problem by trying to run the same wine binary with the same arguments/options from terminal (by hand or with a script). If it fails with the same error, the problem is external to Lutris; if it works fine, the problem is in the Lutris game configs or something like that (you could’ve missed an option or something, or there was some change in the format which made the configs incompatible).

Either way, it’s best to set up your system (or parts thereof) in such a way that you could replace them easily should something happen to them. Thankfully, most games in Lutris are easy to install (one or a few clicks) so as long as there’s not many of them you can reinstall the whole bunch quickly (and it’s not like you need dozens installed – it’s enough to install the game when you’re gonna play it and uninstall when you completed it/fed up with it… I have a couple games that I’m actually playing, and probably way too many in the “installed because I’ll play them soon” category :smiley:)

Well, it’s possible to locate the source of the problem by trying to run the same wine binary with the same arguments/options from terminal (by hand or with a script). If it fails with the same error, the problem is external to Lutris; if it works fine, the problem is in the Lutris game configs or something like that (you could’ve missed an option or something, or there was some change in the format which made the configs incompatible).

Yup thanks for your hint, I tried to launch manually the lutris-wrapper command, but same error.
I also tried to launch a simple wine based command and it showed a different error, so I think it could find the path but as it could not see all my config and all my winetricks installed, the game didn’t start.
That’s why I think there was a trouble with Lutris (itself or related to).
Or just something messed up, an update or so.
But maybe I’m wrong.

Either way, it’s best to set up your system (or parts thereof) in such a way that you could replace them easily should something happen to them.

Yes I try to do that, the most that I can :slight_smile:

probably way too many in the “installed because I’ll play them soon” category :smiley:)

I know this category very well :smiley: