[SOLVED] "Battle.net" client quits when launching game

Hi everyone, I hope I am doing this right.

Basically I installed the client through lutris, did not have any issues.
Within the client I installed WoW.
I would launch the client through lutris and launch WoW from within the client. This causes the client to quit and seemingly be “replaced” by the game, cause Lutris still considers the client “running”. When “stopping” the client through lutris, it closes the game.
Already tried reinstalling battlenet and wow, without effect.

I suspect it might have to do something with KDE Plasma. The issue appears on Wayland and X11.

On my other machine where I am running i3 I can not reproduce the issue; the client stays open after launching a game.

logs and reports
https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/9v7PYVMH7f/

Mesa driver 24.0.1 on AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX (radeonsi, navi31, LLVM 16.0.6, DRM 3.57, 6.7.6-arch1-1)

I am still quite new to linux gaming so please let me know if I forgot some info here.
Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

Had the same issue. BattleNet has a new setting which closes the client after starting a game. I don’t know why it was activated on one machine but not the other.

Solution (worked for me)
Go to Settings in BattleNet Launcher, App and then the second box “On game start” and choose the option to always let battle.net open.

Sry for the german screenshots. Hope this helps anyway.

1 Like

Thanks! That did the trick. Did not even occur to me, that this could be a battlenet client settings.

There is a reason it is set to exit completely when I launch a game:
battle.net.exe and agent.exe have a nasty habit of polling out to blizzard servers and will often crash in the background when left running causing the game you are running to unexpectedly die. I would strongly recommend you put this back to exit completely on game launch - it was set this way in the installer.
This is from the lutris installer:

Client:
          GameLaunchWindowBehavior: '2'

which is written to /drive_c/users/$USER/AppData/Roaming/Battle.net/Battle.net.config during the battle.net installation

1 Like

see my reply here - you want to leave the default behaviour as exit completely when I launch a game. It stops random game crashes when battle.net.exe or agent.exe die

1 Like

I see, thank you!