Scrivener Installation hangs on "PermissionError: [Errno 13]"

I’m on Linux Mint 22 on a Thinkpad T40s. I have installed Scrivener via Lutris before, on Linux Mint Debian Edition 6 without incident.

This time, however, I get the error message, below. This happened on both the flatpak distribution (0.5.17) and the Mint system package (0.5.14-2).

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/share/lutris/bin/lutris-wrapper”, line 202, in
main()
File “/usr/share/lutris/bin/lutris-wrapper”, line 129, in main
process_pid = subprocess.Popen(args).pid
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File “/usr/lib/python3.12/subprocess.py”, line 1026, in init
self._execute_child(args, executable, preexec_fn, close_fds,
File “/usr/lib/python3.12/subprocess.py”, line 1955, in _execute_child
raise child_exception_type(errno_num, err_msg, err_filename)
PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: ‘/home/orion/.local/share/lutris/runtime/winetricks/winetricks’

Please please help. I cannot live without Scrivener.

No help but I am experiencing the same error for same winetricks in my home folder when trying to install EA in Lutris.

This used to work so not sure if I am doing something wrong or if there is a bug due to some recent change somewhere (not necessarily Lutris).

I get the same type error whether I install run flatpak Lutris or RPM Lutris under F40.

I also have the same problem with ubisoft connect.

And there I thought we were done playing with icons :slight_smile:

Start basic - check permissions
ls -l /home/orion/.local/share/lutris/runtime/winetricks/winetricks
winetricks is a script, so needs to start with rwx:
-rwxrwxr-x 1 orion orion

As with all new Lutris installs and you flipping between versions, run an in-place update:
/home/orion/.local/share/lutris/runtime/winetricks/winetricks --self-update

Also, did you import your user files from your old PC? You might need to repermission everything.

…and the rest of you posting different issues in here…
EA and Ubisoft connectivity are known issue after they updated (see other posts.) IIRC this currently means you to be running the more up to date Git version of Lutris to use them.

1 Like

Fixing the permissions unfortunately doesn’t fix this issue.
EDIT: Okay, you can fix it by updating winetricks using --self-update

Here’s what it looks like while installing Ubisoft-Launcher (or any other launcher that uses winetricks):

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/lutris/bin/lutris-wrapper", line 205, in <module>
    main()
  File "/usr/share/lutris/bin/lutris-wrapper", line 132, in main
    process_pid = subprocess.Popen(args).pid
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/lib/python3.12/subprocess.py", line 1026, in __init__
    self._execute_child(args, executable, preexec_fn, close_fds,
  File "/usr/lib/python3.12/subprocess.py", line 1955, in _execute_child
    raise child_exception_type(errno_num, err_msg, err_filename)
PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/home/username/.local/share/lutris/runtime/winetricks/winetricks'

Installed the github version and Ubisoft connect installed without any problem.

This is super helpful. Thank you!

That said, I don’t appear to have a lutris directory inside of .local/share. I have it in .var/app though…?

Use of .var/app is flatpak - app user data gets stored there.

Avoid installing both packaged version and a flatpak version - it will just confuse things. Stick to one or the other. Better to have one set of files to be worried about, and one thing to fix.

With Lutris running, to update winetricks inside the flatpak: -

flatpak enter net.lutris.Lutris bash
chmod u+x /home/orion/.local/share/lutris/runtime/winetricks/winetricks
/home/orion/.local/share/lutris/runtime/winetricks/winetricks --self-udpdate
exit

That path doesn’t exist on my system either, and when I search for “wine,” “winetricks,” and “lutris,” I get no hits even though I can find the files manually.

Ugh. This is maddening.

At this point, I’m working in a fresh installation of Linux Mint anyway, so I wonder if I should start from scratch and use only one version of Lutris.

Reinstall won’t make any difference - when lutris did its latest update, the execute flag was not set on winetricks.

~/.var/app/net.lutris.Lutris/data/lutris/runtime/winetricks
this is the path, use the file manager in Mint to navigate here (press control h if you can’t see .var folder in your home folder) then do this:
Screenshot from 2024-10-07 16-08-50

to enable execute on winetricks

Sweet baby Superman, I think that did it! It’s loading all the fonts right now.

Thank you so so much. You are generous and kind to help me like this. Without access to Scrivener, I was seriously contemplating going back to Mac.

Have an absolutely fantastic day or evening, depending on where you are.

My mistake on the path, apologies; I wasn’t paying proper attention to the flatpak path (my preference is to avoid sandbox tech)

Edit: Just installed Lutris flatpak direct from flathub and the winetricks it downloads is fine and has the correct permissions, so no idea what happened to yours :person_shrugging:

No sweat, my friend! You figured out the problem. I’m very grateful.

I should have been able to figure out the path. I’m sill new.