Retro Game Installer with Internet Archive access

Hello,
i am new to Lutris but i really love this software tool.
While i was testing out, what Lutris is capable of and i was missing a “feature”.

In Kodi, you can have access to Retro Games via an Add-On called IAGL which accesses the Internet Archives for ROMs.
As far as I understand, Lutris install scripts are capable of automatic downloading and unzipping file (at least the free “The Elder Scrolls II - Daggerfall” installer is doing something like this).

About the Legal concern:
As the IAGL Addon and the Internet Archive says, these files are only

‘for the purpose of preservation or archival reproduction of published digital works by a library or archive.’ …
“Some of the content available through the Archive may be governed by local, national, and/or international laws and regulations, and your use of such content is solely at your own risk”

So the installer must have at least a Disclaimer for that.
But as the Lutris page states, it has "A focus on video game preservation ".
So i think that for a lot of retro gamers this would be a nice addition.

If this is in the interest of the developers, can I/the community submit installers for Retro Games accessing the Internet Archive?

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

In case of IAGL specifically, the main question probably should be – can Lutris be used on an HTPC? And does IAGL have any CLI API? Because no to either of these questions means these two can’t really be used together. (Rather, from what I understood from its docs, IAGL is a program of the same type as Lutris, but with somewhat specific range of application).

As for using the games themselves, it’s probably just a matter of having an install script for the game. Or do you mean browsing the Internet Archive from Lutris, somehow? Not sure if that’s a viable option.

I used IAGL here as example for a software, which partly legal automaticlly downloads ROMs form the internet archive.

May I provide such an installer for Lutris using a dirket download link from the IA in the install script or is this for the lutris maintainer to risky in legal terms?

You can probably try making an installer script like that and submitting it for moderation – if it’s no good it’ll be rejected. As for the maintainer’s stance, you’ll need to get an admin’s opinion, rather than mine :slight_smile:
(Perhaps @strider can make a statement on this matter?)

Ok. Thanks for that Infomation.
I submitted an installer for Zelda: Orcale of Ages and wait for moderation :slight_smile:

For those who are interested, the Installer was accepted.
So it is possible to provide installers with Internet Archive Access to download roms.

If someone want to do something similar, you can use the installer form here