Request: Basic Troubleshooting Instructions

I am more than willing to spend time and effort troubleshooting issues myself for installations, games, settings, etc. I feel like however I am walking a bit blind because I do not know basic troubleshooting steps.

For example, I just found out (after several days of google / faffing about off and on) I can run lutris -d, to get some errors and information. Super helpful!

I feel like it would be beneficial to have a list of “basic/generic troubleshooting steps” on the site/wiki/forum posted for people to follow. This would enable those who are technically inclined to help themselves when possible, and reduce the amount of assistance requests.

5 Likes

Hi I’m exactly on the same spot. Did you got anymore info/resources to better troubleshooting? Thanks

For non Basic troubleshooting there is a lot of info about how the installers and scripts work: https://github.com/lutris/lutris/wiki/How-to-write-install-scripts

Would love to see some articles too… that said gonna share few useful things from experience.

rmb on title -> winetricks - lets you use winetricks, install fonts, vc etc :wink:
rmb on title -> wineregistry - access to regedit for wine sandbox
rmb on title -> wine configuration - let’s you configure some wine settings for sandbox

When you run in terminal terminal shows a lot of logs.

Choppy audio tends to be caused by pulse audio, there’s esync pulse audio wine build though I’m guessing there are also other ways to deal with it.

Running games from ntfs is likely to be slow, it was first thing i tried, add my steam library in winesteam … i was losing a lot of performance…

rmb on - wine steam -> run, runs or unhides your steam client, you can play more games at the same time, though it’ll affect performance and compatibility as it’s all gonna run on same session/settings.

Oh and you can access your unix filesystem through disk z in wine which links to your root directory.

useful env variables for nvidia users https://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/319.32/README/openglenvvariables.html

also it seems Use GLSL in runner options is usually better disabled on nvidia cards (afaik opposite on amd)

1 Like