Red Dead Redemption 2 - is it working?

Full log of what I get:
https://pastebin.com/gmaF42Qv

There’s a new install script up. Still doesn’t work for me :frowning: Anyone else had any luck?

Same here, can get the launcher running but the game doesnt start. Getting this error instead of waiting for child.
002d:fixme:win:GetWindowPlacement not fully supported on other process window 0x100a0.

I’m so surprised this isn’t working yet… Has anyone managed to get the game to launch at all or heard of anyone that has?

It appears some people are now able to run it!: https://www.protondb.com/app/1174180

I don’t have the Steam version so I’m going to have a go with the current Rockstar Games Launcher version on Lutris and then tell it to use the custom Proton build. Hopefully I’ll have some luck.

Is there anyone who can update the Lutris installers to make them use the custom Proton build, or is it just a case of waiting for the fixes to make it into the Lutris WINE runner?

Hi,

I made it run by installing the Rockstar Games Launcher version and switched the Wine Version to the proton-5.0-rdr2-3 from codeweavers.
proton-5.0-rdr2-3.tar.gz
So long it works pretty good. Strangely I wasnt able to make Lutris find the newer Proton-5.0-rdr2-4 version. dont realy know why.
But it is pretty easy to make it run.

Oh wait, if you have a Nvidia GPU you will ned NVIDIA 440.66.15 Vulkan beta Driver installed.

Cool :slight_smile:

I just tried the 2-4 version and it wouldn’t even launch the Rockstar Games Launcher. I’ve tried downloading the 2-3 version but there’s an issue with it. The ‘dist’ folder is missing when I extract it. I’ll try downloading it again…

I use an AMD GPU, by the way.

I found it:
I renamed proton-5.0-rdr2-4 to Proton-5.0-rdr2-4 and started a game in steam. After this the proton version has been found from lutris.
In Version Proton-5.0-rdr2-3 there is a file proton_dist.tar.gz you can extract and rename the folder to dist. And then it will show up in steam.

Your AMD GPU needs to know some new vulkan features, so I dont know if this on stock drivers or if you need a special one.

I think there may be a typo in what you said there. Do you mean you renamed it to ‘Proton 5.0’? I tried doing that but I couldn’t get Steam to recognise it. Steam just thinks that the default 5.0-9 is is still there even though I removed it.

I’ve tried both the 2-3 & 2-4 custom builds via Lutris but it still doesn’t launch. I’ve just been pointing Lutris to the wineserver & wine64 files - is that the right way to do it? Maybe if I can get them to run in Steam first it will work, I’m not sure.

I have one of the new AMD GPUs - the 5700. I’m on Manjaro so the drivers tend to be quite up to date, but maybe some newer testing version is needed. But for now, I can’t even get these custom Proton builds to work, at all. I’m not sure what I need to do…

Cheers.

Sorry for my bad english. I basically changed the first letter p to a “capital” P, nothing elese, and then the proton version was found by lutris.

In Lutris you will only need to change the Wine Version to the Proton-5.0-rdr2-4 or 3 version. Thats it.

As mentioned here you will need to add this patch to the driver. (what ever this means in detail.)

Oh I see. Sorry, I Missed that!

I can’t find the ‘compatibilitytools.d’ directory so I’m not sure where to put this custom Proton build. I tried putting it in the both of the folders where Steam seems to like putting the default Proton builds, one at a time, restarting Steam each time, but it doesn’t show up so I can’t select it. Where did you put it?

I’m not too keen on patching my drivers but I guess I can just do a system backup first incase it causes any serious issues. But first, I would just like to try and get the R* launcher to load with this custom Proton build if I can :slight_smile:

Thanks for the help!

Create the folder at the location: /home/user/.steam/steam/compatibilitytools.d/

And then simply place the custom proton version inside.

Yeh that should’ve been more obvious to me to try. Sorry, I’m just a bit tired tonight!

Lutris see’s the Proton builds now but they still don’t work. I can’t even get the Wine control panel to open. I’m not sure why. I think I’m about ready to give up. I’ll have to try again at a later date. I imagine the process will be a lot easier within a month or two. It’s good to know progress is being made anyway :slight_smile:

I decided to give it another try. For some reason, Lutris won’t launch any games with Proton v5, whether that’s the default Proton or the custom RDR ones. It will, however, launch games with Proton v4. I’ve no idea why this is because I can launch games on Steam with all of those Proton versions.

Any ideas?

Thanks!