Path of exile broke after last update

I’ve been playing it all weekend
kend without a hitch and really good performance.

And then it updated…I held my breath and … F*** !!, it broke.

Started initial process 11331 from gamemoderun /home/<user>/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-GE-Proton8-12-x86_64/bin/wine /media/ssd2/Games/path-of-exile/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Grinding Gear Games/Path of Exile/PathOfExile.exe --nologo --noasync --nopreload -gc 2
Start monitoring process.
ERROR: object '' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored.
ERROR: object '' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored.
esync: up and running.
wine: RLIMIT_NICE is <= 20, unable to use setpriority safely
Assertion failed: !status && "vkDestroyQueryPool", file /home/ubuntu/buildbot/runners/wine/wine-src/dlls/winevulkan/loader_thunks.c, line 3426

Monitored process exited.
Initial process has exited (return code: 768)
Exit with return code 768

I think the libgamemodeauto stuff is not part of the problem (although that message seems to come up A LOT - and there doesn’t seem to be a clear fix for it).

This is what looks like is causing the crash and burn. I’ve tried really tearing down the runner config , disabling so much stuff you’d think it wouldn’t even try to run and that message still shows up.

Assertion failed: !status && “vkDestroyQueryPool”, file /home/ubuntu/buildbot/runners/wine/wine-src/dlls/winevulkan/loader_thunks.c, line 3426

:cry: ALL weekend it was working, and beautifully. :cry:

Extremely unlikely this is a config problem. Looks like GGG has done something mean. This is way above my paygrade, but I’m happy to try some things if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks !

This thread on the PoE support forum has some interesting information and potential fix.

Sadly the fix didn’t work for me.


Gotta work on those reading skills.
The patch described in the forum thread was for steam deck and so calls out the steam executable

application name="Path of Exile" executable="PathOfExile_x64Steam.exe"

I’m not running steam. Therefore in the .drirc file, simply change




And that fixed it.
Until they patch again I suppose.

1 Like

Hi, I had this issue on my AMD-GPU pc this morning, but i managed to make it run by changing the vulkan loader. If you have an AMD-GPU, you can try changing the loader to AMDVLK, it is still open source, uses the standalone game, and works well. I don’t know if it’ll be the same for Nvidia-GPUs, though.

I do have an AMD.
When you say loader, do you mean the “Vulkan ICD loader” in the Multi-GPU section ?

When I look there I see my
“unspecified: AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT”
“AMD RADV Open Source (MESA: RADV)”

neither of those is an AMDVLK.

Both require the .drirc file.

I’ll have to go look for this AMDVLK thing.

edit: uh, no.
way to much work to get that installed.
much easier to install the .drirc.
interesting datapoint though.

Yes, i mean the Vulkan ICD loader. I had to install a package on my distro, called AMDVLK (I am on Manjaro Linux), to have this loader, you might have it through your software manager. Which distro do you use ?

Im using linux mint.

it doesn’t seem to have amdvlk available.

i have been thinking about trying manjaro, but now that my lutris set-up is solid, i hate to mess with it ! :laughing:

GGG just released a patch that fixed this problem.

if you read the forum thread, this was causing the steam deck to throw an error. good thing, because if it had only been a wine problem, it was unlikely to have been fixed.

the only thing I noticed was that if I use vsync, locked, adaptive or otherwise my fan runs quite a bit.

i disabled vsync and enforced foreground frame rate to 60, no more fan, and it maintains 60 fps solidly.

and yet when vsync is active, it’s still only 60fps.

Very strange.

Oh, is there already a patch ? nice ! I’m happy to know it’s working now
Mint is a good distro that gets plenty of tools and an easy way to install hardware drivers. It’s been a long time i haven’t used it though, so idk if the hardware detection tool can help. I know you can get amdgpu-pro on Ubuntu, so it can be the same on Mint. It’s built from AMD, so not opensource though. But it can help if the issue comes back.

For the performance issue, it’s not surprising for me, vsync forces your graphic card to maintain FPS at all costs to your monitor frame rate, although no vsync and lock a max framerate is less demanding to your machine, because it can be at 60 or less, so your fans spins less. For example, my config is no vsync, 60 fps max, no adaptive resolution, and works well on my pretty old middle range pc (i had issue when using adaptive)