Path of Exile 64-bit standalone crashes quite often

I’ve been using the 64-bit installer having followed (not a full reddit link due to link limit)/r/linuxquestions/comments/6goiso/trouble_with_gallium_nine_in_wine_on_debian/ to manually enable Gallium nine. When I can play Path of Exile, it’s pretty OK on the default ge-wine 3.6 runner.

When I switch zones there is a decent chance of crashing via either d3d9 errors or failures to create threads.
Here is the output of inxi -b

[sunderkeenin@jerodpc ~]$ inxi -b
System: Host: jerodpc Kernel: 4.15.0-23-generic x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: i3 4.15.0.1-202-g6d2d6322
Distro: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
Machine: Device: desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: PRIME B250-PLUS v: Rev X.0x serial: N/A
UEFI: American Megatrends v: 1001 date: 12/11/2017
CPU: Quad core Intel Core i5-7500 (-MCP-) speed/max: 2393/3800 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480]
Display Server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: amdgpu Resolution: 1920x1080@144.00hz, 1920x1080@60.00hz
OpenGL: renderer: Radeon RX 580 Series (POLARIS10, DRM 3.23.0, 4.15.0-23-generic, LLVM 6.0.1)
version: 4.5 Mesa 18.2.0-devel
Network: Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8169
Drives: HDD Total Size: 2174.6GB (15.6% used)
Info: Processes: 193 Uptime: 11:52 Memory: 2246.0/15986.8MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.56

I am running the graphics drivers from the Oibaf PPA right now, https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archive/ubuntu/graphics-drivers. Neither winesteam installer lets me open PoE in dx11, the DXVK one being the one where that matters.

I know the game played better when I was on arch using ge-wine 3.11, but I suck and fail at manually compiling it even when following the PKGBUILD manually and not even bothering to consider setting it up as multiarch.

I get d3d9 errors, unable to create thread errors, and unable to create rtt background texture errors. Every time any error pops up my game crashes immediately. I forgot to make a pictures folder, so when I was replicating and screenshotting the screenshots went to nowhere, and I need to go to sleep, so I’ll post what I have. Also, lutris --debug gave me normal output, including looking like a normal game exit when the game would crash.

I’ve also noticed that areas crash less often(not not at all, just less) when I’ve been there before. For example, the “unable to create new thread” and “unable to create rtt background texture” errors are most common when entering a new zone.

Anyone know if this is something that was fixed going up to ge-3.11?(which isn’t packed as a downloadable runner under manage runners) I’m probably going to check(when I wake up) if esync-3.12 doesn’t have the WIC factory error that forces me to stay on the older WINE version as well, assuming I don’t see anything else worth trying in here.

Do you have engine multithreading disabled in PoE’s settings? Also you need to set directx 9 to native in winecfg when using Gallium 9.

I have tried with both engine multithreading on and off. The crashes take longer to happen and the general gameplay experience is better with it off. Now, for the gallium nine setup what do you mean by setting Directx9 to native? Do I set overrides for d3d9.dll, for example?

Part of the Reddit thread I half-linked is making a DllRedirects key in the registry by hand.

Meaningful edit: Trying the standalone w/ DXVK installer. Also, esync made the game better even before trying the reinstall. I’ll make sure to say how great the new installer is once I finish installing.