i’ve used origin about 5-6 months ago via lutris install script and while it opened about 10 black windows whenever origin was launched, i was at least able to close them and download/install/launch games.
now on the very same setup i used previously, using the install script for mass effect andromeda to install the origin client, it installs, im able to launch it (and it’s mess of windows with it) and login just fine.
after logging in im greeted with something like “origin cant install games here” and asks that i choose a different directory which i do and when i try to now go and download/install the game i get a “your download has been paused” which it has not because it never even got started, nor was there a place i could answer “yes” to give permission.
~ >>> inxi -SGxz
System: Host: dglt-aw Kernel: 5.3.8-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.2.0
Desktop: Awesome 4.3 Distro: Manjaro Linux
Graphics: Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 530 vendor: Dell driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0
Device-2: NVIDIA GM107M [GeForce GTX 960M] vendor: Dell driver: nvidia v: 430.40
bus ID: 02:00.0
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.5 driver: modesetting,nvidia resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 960M/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 430.40 direct render: Yes
- prefix is in a ~/home sub-directory so it’s not permission issues
- i’ve tried using directories inside the prefix and also outside of it, same result.
- if i install the origin client without the lutris script (manually), i still get the same problem.
- im aware the numerous windows opening with the origin client are partially due to me using a window manager (awesome), those little windows in the image used to all open as full tiles
any assistance would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Have you tried with esync off? My Origin wont update with esync enabled, might be related or not… Have you tried with another Wine versions?
i’ll try with esync off and see how it goes. i’ve tried many different wine/proton versions
edit: unfortunately not
same problem with me. did anyone found a fix?
I am having this problem too, I recently found out that Origin won’t download anything:
"Your download has been paused.
Origin needs to download files and is waiting for permission. Please choose “Yes” when Windows prompts you for permission."
Origin installs and seems to work, until I go to install a game.
It seems to be a problem communicating with OriginClientService.exe. Some Windows users are having this same problem. I can affect it by using the Wine registry editor to set the service start value to disabled (4) and then it sits there until timeout before the error appears. If the service is already running, the error message comes instantly.
I have not been able to solve this, as I don’t know WHY it’s not communicating with the service correctly. It’s got to be changes to the Origin client that caused this, as it used to work.
I was using the legacy Origin client for my older Mass Effect games because it’s less hassle and it works with older Wine prefixes, but EA is taking that away so I had incentive to try getting my older games working in the newer Origin client.
My existing installed games in the current Origin client (Mass Effect Andromeda and Deadspace 3) are still working, but I can’t download any others.
My distribution is a heavily customized Manjaro.
Sound off, if anyone else is having this problem too.
It has taken me until now to solve this.
I have been using ipv6.disable=1 on my kernel command line for years, but it seems that a change to Origin made it so the services were just hanging without that address family available on the back end.
Removing ipv6.disable=1 from the kernel command line made Origin’s services work correctly again, and it now downloads games and content again.
That’s broken behaviour for sure, but I’m glad to have it working again
i also use
ipv6.disable=1, or at least i did up until a few days ago. i’ll have to give the origin client another try, i would think ipv6 if anything would cause connection issues but not what seems like permission errors but who knows. thanks for replying
It’s not really “permissions” problems, that’s just the only message the Origin client spits out when it can’t communicate with its services (that also elevate privileges, avoiding a UAC prompt).
It’s bad network programming, that Origin’s client services barf without IPV6 address families.
Oh well, I don’t care. I’d rather not have it enabled, but I have IPV6 disabled in my router, so nothing is going out or coming in through that interface.
I did make the changes to the ipv6 like you suggested but no luck here. My game was downloading just fine, until it stopped downloading and drop the speeds to 0 b/s. Then I made the ipv6 suggestions and then the Permission Pop-up started to show up. I enable the ipv6 again and I now I get permanently the “Permission Pop-up”
What do you think?
I have had Origin do that, start downloading then stall. I think that has to do with trying to initialize DRM hooks.
Sometimes exiting out of the Origin Client, restarting it then resuming the download works, but in the case of DRM sometimes it doesn’t. For example Star Wars Battlefront II stalls like that every time for me and that’s it.
By contrast, Mass Effect 3 stalls after the first hundred megs or so, but resumes if I restart it. Authorizing content has problems during the “finalizing” but once you launch the game once and it connects to EA’s servers it does. It fixes itself on the next launch of the Origin client, verifies and looks like it’s installing updates.
ok got it. Reboot and reset configurations in my router did it. And for making the download work, I just deleted one file in the program file folder, and Origin noticed the different and kept going.
Now I run another problem, after launching the SWBF2 it says that it cannot connect to EA servers for activation.