Non systemd, pam free linux distributions

My gf’s solution to add dropline gnome to slackware to make lutris work does not work for me.
Have you guys considered using AppImage (https://appimage.org/) to bundle lutris and all it’s dependencies into a distribution agnostic package?
The dependency hell just about makes lutris unusable for some of us because we happen to use linux for longer than Ubuntu was around.

A flatpak build of Lutris is being worked on, if you’re fine with that too…

Hm thanks
Flatpack doesn’t compile on my Slackware box. But…
Hopefully the lutris flatpak will run regardless, if it works the same as AppImage where I can just download ; chmod +x … & run it.

I am looking forward to checking this out.

Update:
I followed the instructions, but at step 1) …

flatpak install --user flathub org.freedesktop//18.08
I was not sure how to pick which and tried them all.

everything went without fault, but when I tried to run it in every case with
flatpak run net.lutris.Lutris
I get:
bwrap: Can’t mkdir parents for /usr/local/gamer/.var/app/net.lutris.Lutris/config/dconf: Read-only file system

From the above statement, I would assume you only have read access dropline gnome or what ever app you are trying to run. To have complete control of of what ever files you are trying to run you need write and execute permissions. As to how to fix this I don’t know, I have never used Slackware so I won’t be anymore help.

Hm thanks.
‘/usr/local/gamer’ is the home dir for user=gamer and permissions are fine. /usr/local/… being my laboratory for messing with stuff that did not come with my distribution release.

I’ll see what is different between our 2 boxes, she runs lutris 0.5 without any glitches. With me it opens but hangs at running anything. Lutris 0.4.23 works for me thus far so I’ll stay on it until we figure this out.

So I cleaned up and tried again
After about 2 hrs of compiling stuff, I get to here:

net.lutris.Lutris $ flatpak-builder --user --repo=lutris --force-clean build-dir net.lutris.Lutris.yml
Emptying app dir ‘build-dir’
Downloading sources
Fetching git repo https://github.com/lutris/lutris.git, ref refs/tags/v0.5.2.1
remote: Total 0 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 0
Starting build of net.lutris.Lutris
Cache hit for pycairo, skipping build
Cache hit for pygobject, skipping build
Cache hit for libsecret, skipping build
Cache hit for enchant, skipping build
Cache hit for gnome-common, skipping build
Cache hit for libnotify, skipping build
Cache hit for openjpeg, skipping build
Cache hit for webkitgtk, skipping build
Cache hit for gnome-desktop, skipping build
Cache hit for python-evdev, skipping build
Cache hit for PyYAML, skipping build
Cache hit for python-urllib3, skipping build
Cache hit for python-chardet, skipping build
Cache hit for python-certifi, skipping build
Cache hit for python-idna, skipping build
Cache hit for python-requests, skipping build
Cache hit for Pillow, skipping build
Cache hit for lutris, skipping build
Cache hit for hwdata, skipping build
Cache hit for pciutils, skipping build
Cache hit for eudev, skipping build
Cache hit for libusb, skipping build
Cache hit for usbutils, skipping build
Cache hit for xrandr, skipping build
Cache hit for glew, skipping build
Cache hit for glu, skipping build
Cache hit for mesa-demos, skipping build
Cache hit for yasm, skipping build
Cache hit for p7zip, skipping build
Cache hit for psmisc, skipping build
Cache hit for cabextract, skipping build
Cache hit for fluidsynth, skipping build
Cache hit for fluid-soundfont, skipping build
Cache hit for v4l-utils, skipping build
Cache hit for gtk2, skipping build
Cache hit for ibus-gtk2, skipping build
Cache miss, checking out last cache hit

Building module gnome-themes-extra in /usr/local/gamer/net.lutris.Lutris/.flatpak-builder/build/gnome-themes-extra-6

sed: can’t read themes/HighContrast/Makefile.am: No such file or directory
Error: module gnome-themes-extra: Child process exited with code 2

Now I am just laughing.
So much for Linux compatibility as opposed to Ubuntu dependency…

…Had been running Lutris on Gentoo, no problems with dependencies, no dependency on systemd either (it’s not installed); can’t say much about pam as I never cared about it, but I have only minimum installation of it (same for Gnome – I only have the core library that some programs rely on).
I’m kinda more used to hearing about Gentoo being “most unfriendly” :smiley:
…Although from what I’ve heard Slackware is based on “minimalistic” philosophy, which is kind of opposite to the “all-inclusive GUI for easy access to everything” approach of Lutris (which might be the source of your problems, but I doubt hearing that is in any way helpful).

Almost a month but I am here.
Well. I am running kernel 5.1, I have alien KDE5
The only problem is gnome which refuses to be compiled without systemd. And that is the developers’ responsibility. We can only do so much to the source.
I have the latest vulkansdk, and the lutris runner runtimes with DXVK works without flaw.
Linux gives me a choice between window managers and DEs from FVWM2 through to KDE plasma. I just expect the same from anything aimed at Linux as opposed to a select few distros.
I see Ubuntu devs imposing the same restrictive philosophies which we used to decry when it came from Microsoft. Just saying that this is what the experience feels like.

Yeah, that’s the reason I gave up on using Gnome. There was a similar limitation introduced into Firefox recently (they abandoned support for ALSA – the Linux sound server – and enforced use of Pulseaudio which works on top of ALSA; which happens to be a one-man decision by some zealot because “that’s how he wants it”), but thankfully apulse allows to circumvent that. Somehow, Pottering managed to acquire a lot of support, even though the only thing he makes is flawed copies of existing software…
Still, when it comes to apps dependent on Gnome, at least some of them only rely on the Gnome core library, which has no dependency on systemd, and at least in Gentoo it can be installed separate from Gnome itself. So, there is a way to avoid installing potteringware altogether – for now, at least.

lol we fixed this.
I uninstalled his KDE, upgraded his lutris to 5.2.1 and reinstalled his KDE
It works now and my crockery has stopped smashing against the wall :slight_smile: