No Man's Sky White Screen glitch

Hi, first time posting in the forums, and I am new to Linux(Started about a month ago), and new to Lutris(Started a few weeks ago).

The installer for No Man’s Sky does run the game, however after you start a game, and you are at the “hold e to initialize” screen, there is just a white screen with the occasional UI text/pop-up. I have searched the internet for solutions, but I cannot find any. The installer says it’s platinum rated, so it would seem that I am the one that is doing something wrong here. I could really use some help, I don’t even remotely know what to do at this point.

I am using Kubunutu 18.04 LTS

• ASUS ROG Radeon RX Vega 64 STRIX-RXVEGA64-O8G-GAMING 8GB 2048-Bit
    • Using the Open source drivers that Kubuntu recommended
  • Intel I-7 4790k
  • 16 GB DDR3 RAM

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

1 Like

try tapping E
If it doesnt work you might need to do alt+tab to gain focus of the game window (that happened to me)

@magzu

Tried that, but it did not fix the issue.

Try this: https://www.mesa3d.org/envvars.html

MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE - changes the value returned by glGetString(GL_VERSION) and possibly the GL API type.

The format should be MAJOR.MINOR[FC|COMPAT]
    FC is an optional suffix that indicates a forward compatible context. This is only valid for versions >= 3.0.
    COMPAT is an optional suffix that indicates a compatibility context or GL_ARB_compatibility support. This is only valid for versions >= 3.1.
    GL versions <= 3.0 are set to a compatibility (non-Core) profile
    GL versions = 3.1, depending on the driver, it may or may not have the ARB_compatibility extension enabled.
    GL versions >= 3.2 are set to a Core profile
    Examples: 2.1, 3.0, 3.0FC, 3.1, 3.1FC, 3.1COMPAT, X.Y, X.YFC, X.YCOMPAT.
        2.1 - select a compatibility (non-Core) profile with GL version 2.1.
        3.0 - select a compatibility (non-Core) profile with GL version 3.0.
        3.0FC - select a Core+Forward Compatible profile with GL version 3.0.
        3.1 - select GL version 3.1 with GL_ARB_compatibility enabled per the driver default.
        3.1FC - select GL version 3.1 with forward compatibility and GL_ARB_compatibility disabled.
        3.1COMPAT - select GL version 3.1 with GL_ARB_compatibility enabled.
        X.Y - override GL version to X.Y without changing the profile.
        X.YFC - select a Core+Forward Compatible profile with GL version X.Y.
        X.YCOMPAT - select a Compatibility profile with GL version X.Y.

@cxf

Thank you for the reply!

I’m afraid I do not know what to do with Mesa 3D, could you please go into more detail as to how I am supposed to use it?

Thanks!

I have the same problem. I couldn’t get it to work with the MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE either.

I’ve got a RX580 running Manjaro on Mesa 18.1.4 with amdgpu drivers.

There was a problem with a native linux game Dying Light that was due to Mesa and AMD GPUs. The way I understood it I had to either go back to an earlier version of Mesa, or switch to nVidia. The developers didn’t look like they were going to update their linux build to solve it.

I don’t know how relevant any of that is, but I think the problem is to do with Mesa and amdgpu.

Fixed it for me , although im using a nvidia 1080 TI.

I have found that it works on linux ubuntu or
linux mint xfce.

If you have an amd graphics card and your using ubuntu update your
kernel by typing

sudo apt-add-repository -y ppa:teejee2008/ppa

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install ukuu

Then after that reboot your pc

After that goto your lutris and right click configure on the game,

Goto runner options and check enable DXVK.

Make sure not to use the open source drivers for your graphics card also.

If this doesnt help then I dont know how to help as I am new as well. Good luck though.

@GreyTI: You were never affected by this bug in the first place (as it’s AMD specific and you’re using an Nvidia card) and your post is filled with misinformation.

“I have found that it works on linux ubuntu or linux mint xfce.” - Completely irrelevant.

“Goto runner options and check enable DXVK.” - Why would you do this? It’s an OpenGL game. DXVK is a DX11 to Vulkan translation tool. It would do absolutely nothing here.

“Make sure not to use the open source drivers for your graphics card also.” - Again nonsense as the open source driver for is currently the best option for AMD cards.

Anyway, back on topic. The issue at the moment is that the AMD drivers are currently missing required features since the NEXT update of the game. The main issue seems to be that shader compilation is failing which is what results in the “white everything”. Unfortunately there’s nothing we can do other than hope that the Mesa devs sort out the missing features sometime soon.

@Enverex

I thought something was strange about the whole DXVK(after doing some research). Thank you for clearing things up, and informing us that it is an AMD driver/Mesa issue.