Need suggestion on Running "The Witcher 3" via Lutris

Hey everyone,

I’ve been trying to get “The Witcher 3” up and running smoothly on my system through Lutris, but I’ve hit a few roadblocks along the way. I’ve scoured the forums and various guides, but I’m still struggling to get it to work properly.

Here’s what I’ve tried so far:

• Installed Lutris and configured the necessary settings.
  • Downloaded the game installer through Lutris.
  • Adjusted various settings within Lutris, including Wine versions and dependencies.

Despite my efforts, I keep encountering an issue where the game crashes on startup, displaying a black screen. I’ve tried different compatibility modes and tweaking various settings, but nothing seems to work.

My system specs are as follows:

• Operating System: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
  • RAM: 16GB DDR4

I’ve also ensured that my GPU drivers are up to date.
I also check this : https://forums.lutris.net/t/witcher-3-complete-edition-wont-startmendix-rapid But I have not found any solution.

If anyone else has had success with running “The Witcher 3” through Lutris on a similar setup, could you please share your configuration and any tips or tricks you’ve discovered? I’m excited to playing this game, but these technical issues are holding me back.

Thanks in advance

AMD CPU and twice the RAM, but otherwise that OS and config, and GoG Witcher 3 ran just fine, but that was a couple of years back now.
I’ve upgraded to 22.04 and a new GPU, and changed from the stock 5.xx to a 6.xx Linux kernel to support the new GPU, but the game install didn’t change, and still works fine.

Have you tried any of the launch options from searching Steam’s Protondb.com? If you’re using Steam some of those might work for you - they’re a common combo of options, plus try disabling the Steam Overlay.

I now run Lutris 5.17 with ULWGL (umu-launcher) support so I can run everything DX11/12 using Steam Proton (running Proton Experimental for pretty much every new title now,) but the Witcher 3 used to run fine on older Wine-GE versions.

I’d have a few questions about your drivers and config, but start with the basics :slight_smile:
Have you launched “lutris -d” (debug mode) then run the game to check the output for errors? Does it crash or just not run? Does the game log itself show any errors? Can you run other high end DirectX11/12 titles without issues? What WINE/Proton version are you using?

I played Witcher 3 on Lutris just fine using Manjaro, AMD 3700X, and an NVidia 2070 Super along with 16GB of RAM. Your machine specs are more than sufficient for the task.

I would suggest you skip all Lutris installers and just load it manually. I have never had good luck with a single installer to date as most are out of date and not maintained.

Assuming you are using the GoG version, download the offline installers and use those, hit the + button on the top left of the Lutris window and select Install a Windows game from an executable.

Right click it after it is installed and select configure and go to the runner tab. Use a glorious Eggroll runner like wine-ge-8-26-x86_64 and hit save. You may need to install this runner using the Lutris installer.

They run and have fun. I highly recommend you to not install a single thing from the Lutris website and instead use the method above. Only if a game has trouble can you look at the scripts on the Lutris website for clues only. Do not use it to install.

One last thought - make sure you are using the NVidia Proprietary drivers. NVidia Open Source drivers suck. The only really good Open Source drivers on Linux belong to AMD.