Native Linux .sh games

I am trying to get Blake Stone: Planet Strike! working.

I have purchased the game form GOG and it comes with a native Linux version that is a .sh file. I have made the file executable, run the script, and the game launches fine.

When I then try and download and launch the game using Lutris instead, the game downloads the native Linux version from GOG, but will not open.

Clearly my machine can run the game fine but there is a Lutris setting that I need to change to get it to run through Lutris… Any ideas?

I don’t know if this is a bug or if I’m just missing something obvious, but Lutris seems to handle native games poorly.

The game page is here: Blake Stone: Planet Strike - Lutris

But there is no installer for it. So if you add the game to your library and click install, you will just get a message saying there is no installer. So you’re stuck. This seems like an oversight in Lutris.

What you can do instead is add the game to your library and sync your library in Lutris so you have the game listed but uninstalled. Then go to GOG, or use lgogdownloader and download the installer (my version is: gog_blake_stone_planet_strike_2.0.0.5.sh). Install it like you normally would (not using Lutris) and pick the destination folder of your choice.

Then, in Lutris, click the + sign in the top left to add a game. Then go to the bottom of the dialog that pops up and pick ‘Add a locally installed game’.

In the next dialog that pops up in the ‘Game info’ tab, fill in the game title: Blake Stone: Planet Strike
From the Runner drop-down select: Linux (Runs native games)
And fill in the year: 1994

Then switch to the ‘Game Options’ tab. And for the ‘Executable’, browse to the location that you installed the game earlier and select the ‘start.sh’ file.

Click the ‘Save’ button and it should add the game should be added.

Thanks for your reply.

I originally found the page that you linked to and saw that it had no script.

When I used the Lutris app and synced my GOG library it found the game and when I clicked install it pulled down the native Linux version from GOG.

I will try what you have mentioned and report back

So following your instructions, I seem to be having the same issue.

I can download the Windows version and install through Lutris using a Windows install, so that is no problem.

However, I do want to actually tackle why this native Linux version doesn’t work. Like I said in my original post, running the script manually outside of Lutris causes no issues and the game runs fine.

Here is the log from when trying to run the game through Lutris.
I can confirm I have made the start.sh file executable

Started initial process 237 from gamemoderun /media/james/LutrisGames/gog/blake-stone-aliens-of-gold/start.sh
Start monitoring process.
gamemodeauto: 
gamemodeauto: 
gamemodeauto: 
gamemodeauto: 
gamemodeauto: 
gamemodeauto: 
dbus[240]: arguments to dbus_pending_call_block() were incorrect, assertion "pending != NULL" failed in file ../../dbus/dbus-pending-call.c line 766.
This is normally a bug in some application using the D-Bus library.

D-Bus not built with -rdynamic so unable to print a backtrace
gamemodeauto: 
gamemodeauto: 
gamemodeauto: 
dbus[244]: arguments to dbus_pending_call_block() were incorrect, assertion "pending != NULL" failed in file ../../dbus/dbus-pending-call.c line 766.

gamemodeauto: 
gamemodeauto: 
gamemodeauto: 
dbus[248]: arguments to dbus_pending_call_block() were incorrect, assertion "pending != NULL" failed in file ../../dbus/dbus-pending-call.c line 766.

Running Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold
gamemodeauto: 
gamemodeauto: 
gamemodeauto: 
gamemodeauto: 
Starting DOSBox
/media/james/LutrisGames/gog/blake-stone-aliens-of-gold/dosbox/dosbox_x86_64: error while loading shared libraries: libslang.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Done.
dbus[252]: arguments to dbus_pending_call_block() were incorrect, assertion "pending != NULL" failed in file ../../dbus/dbus-pending-call.c line 766.

support/gog_com.shlib: line 158:   252 Aborted                 (core dumped) ./dosbox/dosbox -conf "${conf_1}" -conf "${conf_2}" -no-console -c exit
dbus[237]: arguments to dbus_pending_call_block() were incorrect, assertion "pending != NULL" failed in file ../../dbus/dbus-pending-call.c line 766.

Monitored process exited.
Initial process has exited (return code: 134)
All processes have quit
Exit with return code 134

Anybody got any ideas?