Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes

Trying to load up Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes but it always crashes, or just simply can’t run because it’s returning an error saying Failed to download DXVK 9.0.

I’ve tried to run through Steam’s Proton too, but it too cannot run, yet The Phantom Pain can run just fine under Lutris or Proton?? I’m trying to work on a solution to make it work, hopefully I can figure it out… I probably need to download and compile Wine DXVK version or something.

Okay been taking an entire day trying to figure this out, and STILL can’t figure it out because it refuses to run properly at all… it goes to launch the game, but then hangs for a bit before closing after… So anyway… here is what I got from the logs, and it repeats itself over and over each time, and it’s got nothing to do with how I’ve been configuring things, but in Lutris or the actual Steam client itself.

Z:\home\xxxxx\.local\share\lutris\runners\winesteam\prefix64\drive_c\Program Files (x86)\Steam\bin\cef\cef.win7x64\steamwebhelper.exe: invalid option -- `-n'
Try 'steamwebhelper.exe --help' for more information.
System page size: 4096
Could not find page for trampoline in +/- 2GB range of function to hook
Error allocating trampoline memory (no memory within +/-2gb? prior failures?)
[1105/220236.681:ERROR:registration_protocol_win.cc(84)] TransactNamedPipe: Broken pipe. (0x6D)
[1105/220236.682:INFO:crash_reporting.cc(216)] Crash reporting enabled for process: browser
[1105/220236.833:ERROR:network_change_notifier_win.cc(157)] WSALookupServiceBegin failed with: 8
[1105/220236.872:ERROR:gpu_process_transport_factory.cc(1026)] Lost UI shared context.
[1105/220241.050:ERROR:registration_protocol_win.cc(56)] CreateFile: File not found. (0x2)
[1105/220241.050:INFO:crash_reporting.cc(216)] Crash reporting enabled for process: gpu-process
[1105/220241.061:ERROR:registration_protocol_win.cc(56)] CreateFile: File not found. (0x2)
[1105/220241.062:INFO:crash_reporting.cc(216)] Crash reporting enabled for process: renderer
[1105/220241.103:ERROR:registration_protocol_win.cc(56)] CreateFile: File not found. (0x2)
[1105/220241.104:INFO:crash_reporting.cc(216)] Crash reporting enabled for process: renderer
[1105/220241.424:WARNING:cert_verify_proc_win.cc(104)] Unknown error -2146762482 mapped to net::ERR_FAILED
[1105/220252.186:ERROR:registration_protocol_win.cc(56)] CreateFile: File not found. (0x2)
[1105/220252.186:INFO:crash_reporting.cc(216)] Crash reporting enabled for process: gpu-process

Suspect No.1 - Steamwebhelper.exe: invalid option – `-n’

I have no idea where that -n comes from but it’s not in anywhere of the configurations in Lutris, not in any of the game startup options or anything, it’s just there for some reason being caused by something that’s forwarding inputs like that. But then again Steam Web Helper is buggy and sluggish all as hell and never works properly anyway.

Suspect. No.2 - Error allocating trampoline memory (no memory within +/-2GB range of function to hook

Cannot seem to find any information as to what that is or what causes that to happen. My system has more than enough memory to handle running this game, I have at least 16GB of RAM available.

and rest of these errors make little to no sense really… running online internet capable games never really work all that well on Wine for Linux, not that this game HAS much in terms of Online Play. It’s Online Play is all but basic uploading of player’s stat time records for beating missions and data exporting to The Phantom Pain. To which btw… runs perfectly fine with either Proton or Lutris configured Wine setups, which makes no literal sense because BOTH these games are pretty much the same. They run the same game engine, the same kind coding everything. I don’t really see what makes any difference between the two who The Phantom Pain can run on either but Ground Zeroes can’t.

I think I’m pretty much done with this for now… unless someone figures out how to get this game to run properly with Proton or Wine, it’s a lost cause… I thought compiling wine capable DXVK build, as well as getting the DXVK SDK also would help but apparently not. I’m just gonna say it’s a bug in Wine itself until these issues can be properly fixed, doesn’t matter which version of Wine I choose it’s all the same result.

System Hardware:

CPU : Intel© Core™ i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz × 4
Memory : 15.6 GiB - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (16GB)
Storage : 960.4 GB - Samsung EVO 970 1TB
Graphics : NVIDIA Corporation GP104 [GeForce GTX 1070]
 |
  \ Drivers : 
    Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GP104 [GeForce GTX 1070] bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 ) driver: nvidia Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 1070/PCIe/SSE2 version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 410.73 Direct Render: Yes

I think getting different errors is a good way to try to pinpoint the problem. For this, I suggest trying to play the game with no DXVK and see if the same error messages are still there.

If you’re using Steam in your own WINEPREFIX (wasn’t clear for me if you were using winesteam or your own Steam installation), you have to start steam with the --no-cef-sandbox flag in the end of the command. For example, one of my shortcuts to steam is

env WINEESYNC=1 env DXVK_HUD=1 env WINEPREFIX="/home/USERNAME/Games/wineRocksmith" /home/USERNAME/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/lol-3.13-x86_64/bin/wine C:\windows\command\start.exe /Unix /home/USERNAME/Games/wineRocksmith/dosdevices/c:/users/Public/Desktop/Steam.lnk --no-cef-sandbox

I tried all that I turned off DXVK checkboxes, and tested with each version of Wine I had available and installed, and with each result I got nothing that actually worked. The most annoying part was that when the Steam Client was trying to download the game from the server and for whatever reason Wine just crashes the Steam client because it’s so unstable at the slightest things, I would have to keep repeatedly opening the Steam client with Lutris just so that the game could properly download, that was the thing that took most of the day was getting the game downloaded.

I was using all version of Wine available to me, Proton (Valve’s version of Wine, tried versions 3.6, 3.7-Beta, 3.7), Lutris (Multiple versions that were available) and my own regular install of WineHQ, as well as trying a Vulkan compatible build of Wine. To which none of them worked at all getting this game to run.

I’ll have to try what you posted there later and see what kind of results I get.

Are those client crashes traceable? neither wine+steam, steam or winesteam (lutris) crash while downloading games over here. I downloaded Warframe, FFXII and Shadow of Mordor, which are big games, and I could have them all download overnight with no crash.

At this point, it would also be good if you could share your system specs. System, desktop environment, cpu/ram/gpu/drivers/kernel.

Since you didn’t mention it, --no-cef-sandbox is a given, right?

So I tried this and no, it did not work at all. Game will not run no matter what I do. It’ll open briefly, hang then close.

When the game opens briefly and then closes, is the error log different from before?

Because if you hadn’t used --no-cef-sandbox before, you had a few “cef” errors (steam trying to access web content but ‘enclosed’)

Your setup seems great, the only difference from recommendation being driver 410.73, whereas DXVK stiill recommends 396.54.09.

You’re going into unknown terrain over here. I checked wine’s APPDB and ProtonDB. APPDB doesn’t even have an entry for the game. ProtonDB labels it as borked, having a lot of users report it doesn’t even start, and then 1 magical user saying “platinum - all works well, like on windows” which doesn’t seem valid.

doesn’t seem to matter which box I put --no-cef-sandbox into for the Game Runner options it didn’t help with getting the game to run.

wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winemenubuilder.exe"
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\bin\cef\cef.win7x64\steamwebhelper.exe: invalid option -- `-n'
Try 'steamwebhelper.exe --help' for more information.
Could not find page for trampoline in +/- 2GB range of function to hook
Error allocating trampoline memory (no memory within +/-2gb? prior failures?)
[1106/231550.626:ERROR:registration_protocol_win.cc(84)] TransactNamedPipe: Broken pipe. (0x6D)
[1106/231550.627:INFO:crash_reporting.cc(216)] Crash reporting enabled for process: browser
[1106/231550.755:ERROR:network_change_notifier_win.cc(157)] WSALookupServiceBegin failed with: 8
[1106/231551.109:ERROR:registration_protocol_win.cc(56)] CreateFile: File not found. (0x2)
[1106/231551.109:INFO:crash_reporting.cc(216)] Crash reporting enabled for process: gpu-process
info:  Game: steamwebhelper.exe
info:  DXVK: v0.91
warn:  OpenVR: Failed to locate module
info:  Enabled instance extensions:
info:    VK_KHR_get_physical_device_properties2
info:    VK_KHR_surface
info:    VK_KHR_win32_surface
info:  GeForce GTX 1070:
info:    Driver: 410.73.0
info:    Vulkan: 1.1.82
info:    Memory Heap[0]: 
info:      Size: 8192 MiB
info:      Flags: 0x1
info:      Memory Type[7]: Property Flags = 0x1
info:      Memory Type[8]: Property Flags = 0x1
info:    Memory Heap[1]: 
info:      Size: 11984 MiB
info:      Flags: 0x0
info:      Memory Type[0]: Property Flags = 0x0
info:      Memory Type[1]: Property Flags = 0x0
info:      Memory Type[2]: Property Flags = 0x0
info:      Memory Type[3]: Property Flags = 0x0
info:      Memory Type[4]: Property Flags = 0x0
info:      Memory Type[5]: Property Flags = 0x0
info:      Memory Type[6]: Property Flags = 0x0
info:      Memory Type[9]: Property Flags = 0x6
info:      Memory Type[10]: Property Flags = 0xe
info:  D3D11CoreCreateDevice: Probing D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_11_1
info:  D3D11CoreCreateDevice: Using feature level D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_11_1
info:  Enabled device extensions:
info:    VK_EXT_shader_viewport_index_layer
info:    VK_EXT_vertex_attribute_divisor
info:    VK_KHR_dedicated_allocation
info:    VK_KHR_descriptor_update_template
info:    VK_KHR_get_memory_requirements2
info:    VK_KHR_image_format_list
info:    VK_KHR_maintenance1
info:    VK_KHR_maintenance2
info:    VK_KHR_sampler_mirror_clamp_to_edge
info:    VK_KHR_shader_draw_parameters
info:    VK_KHR_swapchain
info:  DXVK: Read 0 valid state cache entries
info:  DXVK: Using 4 compiler threads
warn:  D3D11DeviceContext::QueryInterface: Unknown interface query
warn:  b4e3c01d-e79e-4637-91b2-510e9f4c9b8f
err:   DXGI: CheckInterfaceSupport: Unsupported interface
err:   54ec77fa-1377-44e6-8c32-88fd5f44c84c
[1106/231551.367:ERROR:angle_platform_impl.cc(54)] populateRenderer11DeviceCaps(906): Error querying driver version from DXGI Adapter.
warn:  D3D11Device::GetDeviceRemovedReason: Stub
[1106/231602.508:ERROR:registration_protocol_win.cc(56)] CreateFile: File not found. (0x2)

This line in your error makes me believe there’s something not right with your DXVK setup. When you play other DXVK games, do you get that type of error line?

No idea about the trampoline part… maybe someone on Wine’s bugzilla reported something about it. If you can run your WineSteam runner and acess store page and etc, you’re probably already running with --no-cef-sandbox.

There’s nothing wrong with my DXVK setup, it works fine with everything else but this game.