Lutris wont update prefix when changing runners or settings

Since a few updates back ive been these problems. When changing the runner or settings for a game/program, lutris doesnt update the prefix. Also, the kill all wine processes button hasnt worked in just as long.

I usuallu need to restart my computer to get lutris working again. To change a runner/setting, im needing to remove the game, delete the prefix and start fresh every time. It takes a long, long time if i need to experiment to get something working

At this point, im sure I must be missing something because lutris used to just work. Signed up to ask for help, im at a loss.

Ubuntu 22.04
Edits:
My games are no longer showing logs, and using wineserver -k in terminal (instead of the kill process button) no longer works, so could be wine issues?

Hi,

Lutris version and run log from debug mode (lutris -d) are very helpful to point you in the right direction.

You don’t say what exactly got updated, but your core components should be up to date - WINE staging, Python (3.10 for Ubuntu 22.x) the Lutris version (5.17) and whether it is flatpak, snap or regular package.

Kill all WINE processes is just the “stop” button now.
Some runner changes still need to restart Lutris - when changing from the default “wine-ge-8-26” to “Proton - Experimental” usually the game dies when run, but works after Lutris is restarted.

I used to get your kind of issues back around 5.10 maybe, but at the time I was also messing around with Python which broke a few things.

If you aren’t getting any logs at all, then I’d also check permissions.

Thanks for the quick reply
What i meant is a few versions back i didnt have any issues with lutris.

Core components should be fine - Wine 9.0, Python 3.10 and i think lutris 5.17. Ive uninstalled and reinstalled. The deb/github/software centre are all the same file. The Deb tells me i have lutris 5.17, the software centre and lutris --version tells me i have lutris 5.9.1.

I still have to click an arrow to get a ‘Kill all wine processes’ button - Maybe im getting the version somehow?

Even after restart, lutris wont update a prefix at all. Whats even stranger, ive just realised nothing is working anymore, not a single game so somethings been broken. Which is odd, because i havent changed anything to do with lutris, wine, python, dlls or any such thing the last month. Could be last system update stuffed something up?

As for the log, theres only this problem, everything else reads fine. As for permissions, how do i see what they are for lutris? Im not sure what else to check. Maybe try a different install method?

(Had to remove the addresses, the forum thinks theyre links)
2024-10-09 12:59:03,895: Failed to get runtimes: HTTP Error 426: Upgrade Required
2024-10-09 12:59:04,405: Failed to read content length on response from
2024-10-09 12:59:05,123: Failed to read content length on response from
2024-10-09 12:59:05,838: Failed to read content length on response from

Edit
Ive updated and upgraded system from terminal
Ive reinstalled lutris from deb, software centre and terminal
Ive changed file permissions where my prefixes are

She broken. Wont create/update prefixes, wont run anything. I have no idea what else to try?

sudo apt install ./lutris (press tab key to complete the name of the deb file you downloaded - must be in the same folder for this to work)

If Mint, right click the downloaded deb file → open with gdebi

If lutris --version is still returning “5.9.1” then you have an old version of lutris somewhere that is overriding your new installed package. You need to track that down and remove it.

Tyring to use apt to install a downloaded package, you might see this “Note” message:
Note, selecting ‘lutris’ instead of ‘lutris_0.5.17_all.deb’

This means apt is going to pull the old Lutris from the repository anyway. Use this to install your downloaded file directly: -
sudo dpkg -i lutris_0.5.17_all.deb
…then install the other required and recommended packages manually:
sudo apt install fonts-wine gamescope libcapi20-3 libliftoff0 libseat1 libwine libwlroots10 libxcb-composite0 libz-mingw-w64 gstreamer1.0-libav gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly ttf-mscorefonts-installer

Once you’re definitely on the new version, some of the output from running lutris -d would be helpful :slight_smile:

Further debugging
Lutris calls winetricks to create prefixes and install software, and runs as the logged in user.

To test wineprefix creation without anything else (obvs replace “myuser” with your user)
export WINEPREFIX=/home/myuser/testprefix && wine explorer
…will normally create a prefix and run a winedows explorer. Close the explorer, close the terminal and delete the directory afterwards.

Recently people have reported that winetricks gets downloaded with no execute bit set (something I can’t reproduce at all) - so also check permissions on that.
find /home/myuser -type f -name winetricks -exec ls -l {} \;
If it does not start with “-rwx” then use chmod u+x to add your user’s executable bit to it.

If you are still having issues, create a new user temporarily. Login with that, and see if Lutris runs okay. Then you know it’s something to do with your user setup - something in the old Lutris left over, or some things Python has installed in your user.

OP said they are on Ubuntu 22.04 - unless they followed my instructions, Ubuntu will ALWAYS pull the repo package which is 0.5.9.1 - don’t complicate it

Once they get the new deb installed, the pull on winetricks has been fixed to have the correct permissions

Alright that made a huge difference!

So I purged and reinstalled using sudo dpkg -i lutris_0.5.17_all.deb
and we have a new lutris that works like it used to. Its updating changes, it actually closes etc.

Also noticed the game.yml files have changed slightly, so im gonna have to reconfigure all my games again :-/ Atleast lutris is working, back to normal issues like GStreamer warnings etc.

Anyway, lutris -d:

2024-10-10 10:22:59,929: Command ‘fluidsynth’ not found on your system
INFO 2024-10-10 10:23:00,268 [application.do_command_line:479]:Starting Lutris 0.5.17
INFO 2024-10-10 10:23:00,324 [startup.run_all_checks:120]:Intel Graphics (8086:a7a0 1462:13c7 i915) Driver None
INFO 2024-10-10 10:23:00,400 [startup.run_all_checks:120]:NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Laptop GPU (10de:28a0 1462:13c7 nvidia) Driver 535.183.01
DEBUG 2024-10-10 10:23:00,615 [path_cache._update_missing_games:114]:Checking for missing games
DEBUG 2024-10-10 10:23:00,660 [api.check_stale_runtime_versions:52]:Modified at Thu 10 Oct 2024 10:06:40, will update after Thu 10 Oct 2024 16:06:40
DEBUG 2024-10-10 10:23:00,764 [lutriswindow.create_runtime_updater_cb:1244]:Runtime up to date

What is this ‘fluidsynth’?

fluidsynth you can ignore

On the git page where you downloaded the deb file, follow the link to wiki for Installing Drivers (it will take you to a new git site) and edit the Ubuntu nvidia driver commands to remove the add PPA at the front and change the driver version to 550 - 535 is not going to work for the 4060
Also, click the wine dependencies in the Wiki and install those

Good catch. This just reminds me why i usually update things manually as i need to. System update changed my driver. Alright see how this goes

Well at this point, this particular issue is solved, not sure how to update the post to reflect that?

I have a new lutris which updates changes, closes properly, the stop button works, i have logs again. I can freely change settings/runners and try again. Now its on to the other dozens of errors each runner can show with a new game, which never thought id be happy to see lol
Thank you guys

2 Likes