Lutris won't start, edit: "ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'dbus"

I installed Lutris as a Snap, I’m using Mint 18.3. Nothing happens when I click the launcher in the start menu. There’s a log ~/snap/lutris-mts/common/.cache/lutris/lutris.log which shows the error “Package ‘distro’ unavailable. Unable to read Linux distribution”. I looked around but wasn’t able to see anything clear about this package.

If I type lutris in the terminal, it reads “no command lutris found”.

Any idea where I may have gone wrong here? Is there another way to install Lutris in Mint 18.3 besides snapd? Thanks for the help.

Hmm, I figured out “lutris-mts.lutris” is the proper terminal command. I get this output

2020-05-25 12:14:37,308: Package ‘distro’ unavailable. Unable to read Linux distribution
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/snap/lutris-mts/52/bin/lutris”, line 40, in
from lutris.gui.application import Application # pylint: disable=no-name-in-module
File “/snap/lutris-mts/52/lib/python3.6/site-packages/lutris/gui/application.py”, line 38, in
from lutris.game import Game
File “/snap/lutris-mts/52/lib/python3.6/site-packages/lutris/game.py”, line 17, in
from lutris.config import LutrisConfig
File “/snap/lutris-mts/52/lib/python3.6/site-packages/lutris/config.py”, line 8, in
from lutris import settings, sysoptions
File “/snap/lutris-mts/52/lib/python3.6/site-packages/lutris/sysoptions.py”, line 12, in
from lutris.util.display import DISPLAY_MANAGER, USE_DRI_PRIME
File “/snap/lutris-mts/52/lib/python3.6/site-packages/lutris/util/display.py”, line 15, in
from lutris.util.graphics.displayconfig import MutterDisplayManager
File “/snap/lutris-mts/52/lib/python3.6/site-packages/lutris/util/graphics/displayconfig.py”, line 6, in
import dbus
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘dbus’

Thanks for any help, sorry to be a bit clueless.

I do have Wine installed, as I saw suggested could be an issue elsewhere. I also have “python-dbus” and python3-dbus" installed.

I’m not a fan of running Lutris containerized. Same counts for Steam. Is there a reason for choosing a snap package?

1 Like

I’m running Mint 18.3 (based on Ubuntu 16.04) and I don’t see another way to install it. The ordinary install doesn’t work (I get the “E: Unable to locate package lutris” error.)

Ah, yes this version of Mint is not supported any more as it seems.

1 Like

I don’t know if you have a reason to run this version but if you want to upgrade, here is a howto guide.

https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2416

I always upgrade my Fedora machine. I didn’t clean install since version 25 or so. Fedora is now at 32.

1 Like

I just want to play my free copy of Civ 6 lol. I’ll have to decide if that’s enough reason, thanks. Already upgraded to 18.3, so maybe I’ll take the plunge

Hah! I’ve gotten the free version of Civ 6 too. :slight_smile:

Its always good to upgrade. Your version is supported until somewhere in 2021 so on that part you are still OK because you still get updates.

Just remember to make backups of your home directory. All your personal files are there. The rest is just the system.

1 Like