Lutris with sc-controller cause games to freeze

Whenever running a game through Lutris with a Steam controller and with sc-controller running, the game will freeze and sc-controller will display an error saying:
“There was an error with enabling emulation. Failed to claim USB device: LIBUSB_ERROR_BUSY [-6]
Another application (most likely Steam is using the controller.”

I thought it was the game that I was playing at first; Rayman Legends. The game started fine with sc-controller already running and set to xbox emualtion, but the game freezes when the Steam controller tries to vibrate. I found that if I start sc-controller after Rayman Legends had started, and if I set a new controller config that emulated keyboard controls (because xbox controller emulation would not work), the game worked fine. So I wrote a script to launch before the game that closes all instances of sc-controller if it was already running, then it starts the game and waits for the game’s process to fully start, and then it starts sc-controller.

I’m fairly new to Lutris, and have only been using it since the Epic game store has had their daily free game promotion. So I tried another game (Costume Quest), and had the same result. The game freezes if it is started with sc-controller already running, so sc-controller has to be started after the game is already running and only works by emulating the keyboard, and xbox gamepad emulation does not work.

I tried another game (Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair) and had the same result, except this game was completely unplayable with the Steam controller because alt-tabbing out of the game to start sc-controller causes the game to completely freeze and it is not recoverable.

I thought this was an issue with sc-controller until I disabled the Lutris runtime through the game’s config menu. With the runtime disabled, the Steam controller now works fine for xbox emulation, but other issues have developed such as low performance and no sound.

So then I removed everything from ~/.local/share/lutris/runtime and started a game, but the original controller problem is still present as if the Lutris runtime is still enabled. Selecting “Disable Lutris Runtime” in the game’s config settings did not have the same result as removing the files in the runtime folder, which seems to contradict what the github page says.

I tried running lutris -d in terminal and ran a game until it froze and I had to force quit. But the terminal output showed no errors that I could find.

Computer specs:
Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.1, kernel 4.15.0-72-generic
Intel Core i7 8700k, 16gb RAM, Nvidia GTX 1060 6gb

Sorry for the long post. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and Happy New Year!

I think I figured it out. Disabling rumble support in Sc-controller seemed to fix the problem. However, I don’t know why that makes a difference, as it’s only Lutris that seems to have the issue with rumble support enabled. Everything else works fine with rumble support, both programs running in Wine, native Linux, and through Steam with Sc-controller overriding the controller.
But if disabling rumble allows me to play my games, then I’m alright with that.
If anyone is able to test to see if rumble support with Sc-controller and Lutris works for them, I would be interested in knowing about it.