Lutris, raytracing in Cyberpunk 2077

Hello Everybody,

I can play CP2077 on my PC with Lutris “Fshack Lutris 6.21-3”, “- FShack Lutris 6.21-6” and 7.2 .
I have a Radeon 6600 in use. Why can’t I aktivate “Raytracing” in the game-setups? And by the way, I know, the 6600 isn’t performand enough for raytracing,…

Thanks, thk_ms

Ray tracing is only posible in certain games. I’m also playing Cyberpunk at the moment an RT is not possible at the moment.

Hello,

thank you for the information. Is there any blog or infopage where news about Cyberpunk and raytracing were publish?

And will be there a new selectable point in the game-configs in Lutris?

many thanks, thk_ms

It’s our environment (drivers and graphics libraries). There is some rudimentary support for some GPUs (software ray tracing, even for cards that don’t have dedicated cores for it), that might work in some games, but it’s not there yet. It won’t be Cyberpunk (or Lutris) making changes that make using raytracing possible for you.

Possibly the proprietary Nvidia driver (I don’t know for sure vs. Cyberpunk 2077) but you’re not going to do it with amdgpu/mesa at this time.

What sucks about not having ray tracing in games that make heavy use of it, generally is that lighting dithering isn’t going to look quite right in some conditions. Annoying fog effects that don’t look quite right etc. I see this in Cyberpunk 2077 and the game Control.

I got it working perfectly except for this so I can conclude that so far no ray tracing on Cyberpunk on Linux then?

Hello,

are there any news for raytracing in CP2077? For example there is a way to play Quake II with RT on Linux. Newest driver on ubuntu 22.02 and the argument " RADV_PERFTEST=rt"

Thanks, thk_ms

It’s come a long way since you last asked, have you tried setting that variable?

I also see people saying you need to set another one for VKD3D

RADV_PERFTEST=rt
VKD3D_CONFIG=dxr11

See if setting those variables makes ray tracing available in Cyberpunk for you. If so, don’t have any other important processes running if you try it, because you may lock up :slight_smile:

P.S. Consider adding a PPA for mesa… kisak (slower pace of updates) or oibaf (more bleeding edge, faster pace). Assuming you are using Ubuntu (you mentioned it)

This is stable 22.3.5, kisak PPA

Oibaf PPA… mesa bleeding edge (23.1.0-devel from git)

You’d probably have the best luck with the oibaf for using new features like RT, but bear in mind that it’s the development tree. (I do my own builds of mesa master… currently it’s OK for me)

Make sure you know how to purge the PPA and revert back to your distro’s mesa packages if you have to. It’s in the readmes.

This might be of interest to you:

Mesa’s Radeon “RADV” Driver Can Now Handle Cyberpunk 2077 Ray-Tracing

That would mean using mesa 23.1-0-devel (git master), i.e. oibaf PPA on Ubuntu based distros.