Lutris needs a way to disable startup runtime update checks

For the past two nights I’ve had trouble starting Lutris because of a connection error to the servers it checks for updated runtimes.

I just get a progress bar bouncing back and forth while it’s checking for runtime updates. It’s doing nothing because the process failed, yet the python programming can’t handle this response.

I mean, I bought games on GoG so they have nothing to do with the Internet and need no game clients and I can’t play them because of Lutris now? This is ridiculous.

2021-11-14 01:32:14,912: Starting Lutris 0.5.9.1
2021-11-14 01:32:14,950: No cores found
2021-11-14 01:32:15,478: Error while completing task <bound method Downloader.async_download of <lutris.util.downloader.Downloader object at 0x7fcbe0e9edc0>>: <class ‘requests.exceptions.ConnectionError’> (‘Connection aborted.’, ConnectionResetError(104, ‘Connection reset by peer’))
File “/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/lutris/util/jobs.py”, line 34, in target
result = self.function(*args, **kwargs)
File “/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/lutris/util/downloader.py”, line 143, in async_download
response = requests.get(self.url, headers=headers, stream=True)
File “/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/requests/api.py”, line 75, in get
return request(‘get’, url, params=params, **kwargs)
File “/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/requests/api.py”, line 61, in request
return session.request(method=method, url=url, **kwargs)
File “/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/requests/sessions.py”, line 542, in request
resp = self.send(prep, **send_kwargs)
File “/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/requests/sessions.py”, line 677, in send
history = [resp for resp in gen]
File “/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/requests/sessions.py”, line 677, in
history = [resp for resp in gen]
File “/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/requests/sessions.py”, line 237, in resolve_redirects
resp = self.send(
File “/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/requests/sessions.py”, line 655, in send
r = adapter.send(request, **kwargs)
File “/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/requests/adapters.py”, line 498, in send
raise ConnectionError(err, request=request)
2021-11-14 01:32:15,480: Download failed: (‘Connection aborted.’, ConnectionResetError(104, ‘Connection reset by peer’))

It is connecting to these IP addresses:

140.82.113.4:443 (github)
172.64.80.1:443 (cloudfare)

After killing and retrying several times last night it worked, but so far tonight I’m still getting the connection error to the server.

What the Hell do I have to do, yank my network cable to play games now just to prevent software from doing things like this? I detest online gaming and online game client software and forced updates. If I had no connection this shit would just time out after several seconds.

It needs a configuration setting to disable this.

2 Likes

If u want to disable network for lutris (and his games) run it from terminal with this command

$ su -c 'unshare -n sudo -u <YourUserName> /usr/games/lutris'

1 Like

Interesting… so essentially start the program in its own namespace where it doesn’t see a network.

I’ve not had the problem since, but next time I’ll try that.

I also randomly discovered something else. If I right click on the taskbar entry and close Lutris, the main program window pops up. The other taskbar entry is still there, and the runtime update check progress bar is still bouncing back and forth, but then that one can be killed and Lutris remains open and behaves normally.

I don’t know if it would work with all window managers (it should for anything with taskbar functionality, it’s likely lutris itself respawning the main window in reaction to the window status change or something)