Back to the main site

Lutris & Battlenet -

Greetings All !
hoping someone can help.
every-time there is an update on battlenet or my os/kernel etc,. Lutris/wine/battlenet combination starts to flake out. I don’t even want to tell you guys how many times i’ve re-installed my system due to battlenet issues, its embarrassing to admit.
i got everything working a few weeks ago (again), battlenet was fine, even installed the new diablo immortal beta and was working great.
Few days ago there was a system update, and again problems occurring while loading battlenet via lutris.
i Love Nix, i made the transition last November and am hellbent on not going back due to battlenet.

Current situation.
starting lutris, battlenet will only load 1 out of 4 - 6 tries. ( never on the first attempt )
when i finally get in WOW works fine, Diablo III works fine, Diablo immortal is no longer working even after re-installing the game.

**Question, **
what am i missing, or what should i be looking for every time an update happens on the system or battlenet itself that triggers these problems ?
i have read these awesome answers in this forum, and i believe it may have something to do with my 32bit/64bit related files for WINE… ( this is just my guess and a shot in the dark )
================================
my system spec:
**OS: Zorin OS 16.1 x86_64 **
**Kernel: 5.15.0-41-generic **
**Packages: 2341 (dpkg), 51 (flatpak) **
**Shell: bash 5.0.17 **
**Resolution: 1920x1080, 1920x1080 **
**DE: GNOME **
**WM: Mutter **
**Terminal: gnome-terminal **
**CPU: Intel i7-2600K (8) @ 5.900GHz **
**GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 **
**GPU: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family **
**Memory: 11197MiB / 32003MiB **
================================

Here is the link of my pasted logs etc.

https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/fpgR5jhB64/

Here are some other command outputs i picked up reading the forums, may or may not help

$ ls /usr/lib/*/libgamemodeauto.so.0
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgamemodeauto.so.0

$ apt list --installed “gamemode”
Listing… Done
gamemode/focal-updates,now 1.5.1-0ubuntu3.1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
N: There is 1 additional version. Please use the ‘-a’ switch to see it

$ gamemoded --status
gamemode is active

Try running Lutris from terminal and start your battle.net link. Pretty sure that it will report wineserver crashed or something similar. I have been having the same issues for a few months. When it crashes, it will leave orphaned agent.exe processes which I just kill off.
Have found no resolution, happens on all distros and runners I have tried (though have not gone back to an older runner to see when it started). Personally, I run it from Steam as it cleans up the orphan tasks if wine server crashes out on startup. Lets hope someone else has found a way around this, it is annoying. If you have time and can try older runners, you might be able to identify a runner version that doesn’t cause this

1 Like

thank you so much for the reply.
I too have identified those orphaned processes and kill them off each time as well.
including battlenet.exe which seems to linger.
Interesting you mentioned you run it through Steam ?
is there a link or instructions somewhere for that ? was actually searching for that as a resolution with no avail, didn’t realize it was possible.

Here is the link. I always install the games outside the prefix I use for battlenet so I can use the same install regardless of which launcher I use.

So I had a little time today to look at this and will refer you to this thread. Use winetricks to add/install dll or component and select Sapi from the list. This should remove the 132 error when changing between characters (which I got when using this older runner). Also, if you use the ProtonUp-Qt appimage, you can easily find runners not included in the Lutris list to add.
The last runner where I do not have issues with battlenet starting is lutris-ge-7.1 (from the ProtonUp-Qt) and adding sapi.dll using winetricks. This may help you.
EDIT: so test some more and the ge-7.1 has occasional issues with battlenet starting so am now trying 6.21