Linux GOG game failing to launch

I totally understand, but sadly it doesn’t even unpack it for me. Just loads forever.

The Linux GOG version? Wow.

What does the log say?

it gets stuck at
creating dir: /home/USER/Games/mark-of-the-ninja/support/xdg-utils

USER was you hiding your actual username right?

Do you have enough space available in you Games directory?
Ext4 file system?
Permissions correct?
Running under your own account and not root?

yes to all

And was this install location completely empty before running the installer?

It’s the place I put the rest of my games. Other GOG games.

You don’t have to remove the other games. Just empty the install location of the game itself.

I’ve read somewhere once that it sometimes helps to rerun the installer. And for piece of mind I always start clean.

OH in that case, yes, I have been running it clean every time

Ok, well you are doing the correct things then.

Can you perform a clean install from Lutris in debug mode?

Isn’t that what I just did?

Probably, but that didn’t generate enough information. When I run into these problems I run and re-run the installer to see if I can get more information out of it. Also when an installer hangs I try it multiple times, closing Lurtris and restarting it to see if the problem goes away.

Another option could be to get the master version of Lutris from github and running that one instead.

I restarted and tried your installer again and it finnaly installed the game, but sorry, it still doesn’t open and has the same log as before

Also, for windows games, do you know what “Path not found” means?

Ah. Progress. Kind of…

The path not found error is widely reported on this forum.
https://forums.lutris.net/search?q=Path%20not%20found

One user here mentioned reentering the path to the executable. Even when the path seems correct.

If it doesn’t work my next step would be to check what path isn’t found and verifying whether that path actually exists.

Gog Linux games use shell (.sh) scripts to launch the game. I can analyze the scripts to see what the script expects. But its always helpful to know which path isn’t found.

Reinstalling everything fixed the “path not found” but still won’t execute Mark of the Ninja. I wish Lutris had an option to just run the script without it trying anything because it works perfectly if ran from a terminal or double clicked.

Ok. Just installed Manjaro on an older machine I had lying around, installed the gaming stack, installed the game via the install script and ran the game.

No issues.

I used gamemode and Lutris from the repositories.

So it isn’t Manjaro and its libraries.

The only system options I have enabled are Prefer system libraries, Feral Gamemode and Xephyr Fullscreen.

That is the exact configuration I have. Crap this is so puzzling. Maybe I should retry downloading the game files again.

Is it still the exact same error you are getting?

Edit: the only difference is that I’m now testing with and old Pentium D (yes 2 cores) and an AMD 7950 graphics card.

Yeah exactly the same

1 Like