Launching game "Heroes Chronicle" fails on error code 1280

Hello everybody.
I need help to play the game
Heroes Chronicles - Warlords of the Wasteland - Lutris .

I try to write a script like the one
→ lutris . net / games / beach-life/
I install it without any problem but i got an error when trying to play : exit code 1280
I read a lot about this message but can’t figure out how to resolve it.

When trying to play I can see the splash screen with “load in progress, please wait” (in french of course :wink: ) but the game crash after this.

(sorry for my bad english I am a frenchy)
any help will be appreciated

best regards
x_l_ours

xlours@LLV-Aurora-R4:~/Bureau$ lutris --submit-issue
2021-12-08 18:08:15,602: Starting Lutris 0.5.9.1
2021-12-08 18:08:15,673: No cores found
2021-12-08 18:08:16,333: Startup complete
2021-12-08 18:08:16,336: Using NVIDIA drivers 450.156.00 for x86_64
2021-12-08 18:08:16,336: GPU: GeForce GTX 680
2021-12-08 18:08:16,337: GPU: 10DE:1180 10DE:0969 (nvidia drivers)
2021-12-08 18:08:36,584: Shutting down Lutris
xlours@LLV-Aurora-R4:~/Bureau$

The LOG from starting it through LUTRIS is downside.

Started initial process 9823 from gamemoderun /home/xavier/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-fshack-6.21-6-x86_64/bin/wine /home/xavier/Games/heroes-chronicles-warlords-of-the-wasteland/drive_c/Program Files/3DO/Heroes Chronicles/Warlords of the Wasteland/Warlords.exe -w
Start monitoring process.
gamemodeauto:
esync: up and running.
002c:fixme:winediag:LdrInitializeThunk Wine TkG (staging) 6.21 is a testing version containing experimental patches.
002c:fixme:winediag:LdrInitializeThunk Please don’t report bugs about it on winehq . org and use https:// github .com/Frogging-Family/wine-tkg-git/issues instead.
0070:fixme:font:get_name_record_codepage encoding 20 not handled, platform 1.
0060:fixme:font:get_name_record_codepage encoding 20 not handled, platform 1.
0070:fixme:font:get_name_record_codepage encoding 20 not handled, platform 1.
0060:fixme:font:get_name_record_codepage encoding 20 not handled, platform 1.
008c:fixme:font:get_name_record_codepage encoding 20 not handled, platform 1.
008c:fixme:font:get_name_record_codepage encoding 20 not handled, platform 1.
002c:fixme:font:get_name_record_codepage encoding 20 not handled, platform 1.
002c:fixme:font:get_name_record_codepage encoding 20 not handled, platform 1.
00bc:fixme:font:get_name_record_codepage encoding 20 not handled, platform 1.
00bc:fixme:font:get_name_record_codepage encoding 20 not handled, platform 1.
0024:fixme:font:get_name_record_codepage encoding 20 not handled, platform 1.
0024:fixme:font:get_name_record_codepage encoding 20 not handled, platform 1.
0108:fixme:font:get_name_record_codepage encoding 20 not handled, platform 1.
0108:fixme:font:get_name_record_codepage encoding 20 not handled, platform 1.
0114:fixme:font:get_name_record_codepage encoding 20 not handled, platform 1.
0114:fixme:font:get_name_record_codepage encoding 20 not handled, platform 1.
013c:fixme:font:get_name_record_codepage encoding 20 not handled, platform 1.
013c:fixme:font:get_name_record_codepage encoding 20 not handled, platform 1.
013c:fixme:imm:ImeSetActiveContext (0x7d01b0, 1): stub
013c:fixme:imm:ImmReleaseContext (00010092, 007D01B0): stub
00bc:fixme:imm:ImeSetActiveContext (0x930030, 0): stub
00bc:fixme:imm:ImmReleaseContext (00010020, 00930030): stub
0148:err:seh:NtRaiseException Unhandled exception code c0000005 flags 0 addr 0x7bc3636a
Monitored process exited.
Initial process has exited (return code: 1280)
Exit with return code 1280

1 Like

I replace the current lutris (lutris-fshack-6.21-6-x86_64) with lutris-6.0-rc1-x86_64 and the game run well …
regression in the newest version of lutris ?

1 Like

It would help you if you saw the different pieces of the Lutris experience as stand-alone pieces of software, very much as you see the game as one piece and the Lutris experience as another, as you do now. You need to clearly see the Lutris executable as an enabler program where it enables you to play a game, in this case a Windows game, with a customised version of Wine which Lutris call a runner (eg. lutris-fshack-6.21-6-x86_64).

What you have described in your posts is totally normal and expected behaviour. The runners that Lutris provide through their program can be considered general customised versions to allow gamers to play as many games as possible while the tkg and ge runners are normally provided to play specific, normally newly released games, whose adaptations have not yet been incorporated into the the mainstream Lutris runner. The closest analogy being wine-staging and wine-stable. Over time what ge and tkg runners have implemented will be incorporated into Lutris runners.

So there is no issue with Lutris 5.91 (if you are using the latest version), it has enabled you to attempt to launch your game with various modified versions of wine, in one case successfully. The tkg runner may or may not be a regression, it depends on whether it is a build to play a specific game or not.

See Lutris as a dating app and the runners as girls where you try each girl until you find one that works for you.

Thanks for your return.
Sorry, but my poor english needs some more explanations.
What means :
tkg ?
ge ?
(abbreviation of ?)

And a new question.
Is it possible to fix the “stable” version (-> rc ?) of the runner or should i write in my script the one the game is running with ? (id est lutris-6.0-rc1-x86_64 )
and how ? (of course)
I found this :
wine:
dxvk: true
esync: true
version: lutris-ge-6.16-1-x86_64
is it the solution ?
I am a beginner in scripting.

Thanks again for your reply.

Tkg and ge are people/groups that create special versions of wine that allow the newest or most difficult games to run on linux. They work primarily on supporting games on steam and proton and occasionally their work is made available as a runner for lutris. Ge is an abbreviation of glorious eggroll, tkg, I don’t know. They are easy to identify as their names are included in the runner release. Here are some examples from my /home/scott/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/ directory (where the runners are kept by lutris):

1. lutris-6.14-3-x86_64 - standard lutris release

2. wine-6.0-rc4-staging-tkg-amd64 - special tkg release, in this case to run Red Dead 2

3. lutris-ge-6.16-1-x86_64 - special ge release

For new games the runner building process is very iterative with a release occurring followed by user feedback followed by a new release repeating itself. In the case of Cyberpunk this happened many times before a usable runner was available for my system. So if you are scripting and wish to force the runner (didn’t know you could do that) you need to be aware of the state of play of the game’s runner. In extreme cases such as Cyberpunk different runners were required depending on what video card you had to complicate things even further. Bear in mind one of the big advantages of lutris is the ability to chop & change runners on a per game basis. If you look at many of the installation scripts there is no mention made of what runner is used as it is expected that people will try different ones until they find the one they are most happy with.

Another point to note is that over time the need for these scripts is diminishing because the pace of improvement in the software to play games on Linux has reached an incredible high. The foundation, wine, has moved from a new release every couple of years to a new staging release every 2 weeks. The tkg’s and ge’s of the world can pop out new releases every couple of days. The point being that all the code that enables these new games to work on linux eventually finds it’s way into wine.

Thanks for your reply.
Now i have to wait for this issue :

before creating the script to play (again and again) at “Heroes Chronicle”

best regards