Just Cause 4 (EGS) crashes at startup with Wine C++ runtime error

Hello. I’m trying to run Just Cause 4 (epic game store version) in Lutris. I need to run it trough the client, due to DRM protection. Maybe this issue is related to DRM protection indeed, just guessing.
These are my logs:
System Specs
Wine log

PS: i know for sure this game works fine with Steam proton.

Heya,

So unfortunately I don’t have a fix but I looked into this as I had the same issue and you are right! it does seem to be DRM related, “Windows.Networking.Connectivity.NetworkInformation” seems to be some UWP rubbish call so it looks like the EGS build uses some sort of UWP thing for its DRM.

Thank you for your answer.
I just found how to get the right output log. Yep, Windows.Networking.Connectivity.NetworkInformation is definitely UWP stuff. There is another recent issue opened on reddit regarding this topic https://www.reddit.com/r/wine_gaming/comments/g4fj8z/if_i_launch_just_cause_4_through_epic_games/
As they point out, the minimum sys requirement for the EGS version is WIN 10, while for the Steam version is WIN 7, so it is unlikely to be afflicted by UWP rubbish and that explains why it works.
I just hope this is a specific issue of the game and not EGS wide.

1 Like

I tried a couple of other things on EGS and they work fine so I suppose it is important to check the requirements just in case. I hope this trend doesn’t continue. There should be a DRM tag or something, UWP is some frustrating stuff.