Is Gamemode Disabled?

Hey all,

I just want to preface this by saying I’m an utter Linux newbie. I’ve setup Lutris and I’ve managed to install DXVK and Gamemode but no matter what, Gamemode is always greyed out under Runner Options.

I added the following code manually on system options:

Key: LD_PRELOAD
Value: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgamemodeauto.so.0

However the toggle is still greyed out. Is this normal behaviour?

If I run a game and use terminal to “gamemoded -s” it tells me Gamemode is active. I just don’t know if it is. That toggle being greyed out and disabled is making me second guess!

I’ve attached a screenshot if I’ve not been clear and I’m using PopOS if that makes a difference.

Have you checked that 32-bit version is installed as well?

BTW, Lutris checks for existence of the file libgamemodeauto.so specifically.

I’ve checked the folder where my other game mode file is and whilst there’s a few in there, none of them simply end with “.so” they all have zeroes after the file name.

I read something about the 32-Bit version and someone shared alot of lines of code that was getting praised but I had no idea what to do with it.

Sorry if that sounds extremely basic. I’ve only had Linux installed for two days, more as an experiment than anything else. I’ve never used anything other than Windows before so much of this is very, very new to me

Well it strongly depends on which distributive you’re using, but if it’s a binary one (which is the majority) then 32-bit versions of libraries are installed as separate packages (typically including ‘32’ in their names).
As for the filename, at least in Debian and Ubuntu it appears to be in package named libgamemodeauto-dev, according to web search (and in Fedora it’s in gamemode package along with .so.0).

Hey, I was having the same issue.

As it was pointed out above, Lutris looks for the existence of libgamemodeauto.so in both your 64 and 32-bit libraries.

For me the issue was that I only had libgamemodeauto.so.0 and libgamemodeauto.so.0.0.0 so Lutris wasn’t picking up on them.

(Assuming you’ve already installed both the 64/32 bit versions of gamemode…)
Find out where your 64/32bit libgamemode files are via:

find /usr -name "libgamemodeauto*"

Should show something like:

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgamemodeauto.so.0
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgamemodeauto.so.0.0.0
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgamemodeauto.so.0
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgamemodeauto.so.0.0.0

So for me the two folders are /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu and /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu

And then do:

cd /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
sudo ln -s libgamemodeauto.so.0 libgamemodeauto.so

cd /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu
sudo ln -s libgamemodeauto.so.0 libgamemodeauto.so

(you probably have to restart your machine after this, not sure)

And now my Feral Gamemode toggle works in Lutris :slight_smile: