I tried to install the game on my own machine to see if I can reproduce the issue… Man did it take long time (I’d say 50Gb is way too much for a game installer…)
First I looked at the downloads size and decided to install the game via GOG client. It took half a day for it to download… Then it failed at the end, complaining about lack of dotnet-3.0 so I quit the client, and used Winetricks to install it (marked 3.0 and 4.5 just in case). The download status was still there but it still said something about requiring admin rights to install dotnet, and failed in the end. Then, I tried to run the game downloaded by client (using “Run EXE inside wine prefix”) and it ran with no problem (though I didn’t try to go past main menu).
Still, the install was failing, so I decided to install it separately and just import it into the client. I ran the install script, and after another half-a-day wait… it installed nothing! Turns out Lutris decided to download the files weirdly (naming them
gog_file_*/download instead of
.xml files – the latter described the correct filename and checksum for the next
.bin) and thus couldn’t run the setup. So I renamed the install files (keeping the old locations as symlinks so that install doesn’t fail again), and ran it directly in the game prefix (“Run EXE inside wine prefix”). After that, the game link worked alright, so I switched to the GOG client link, added game prefix folder as a logical drive (in the Wine configuration → Drives tab), and imported it into GOG client. And then, the game started up alright from the client (the only difference was, it gave me a few dialog windows before running the logo).
I didn’t bother with the DXVK stuff back then. When I added it (I also added
xaudio2_7: native via Wine config, so that I could specify the executable it applies to), the dialog window became quite glitchy, but the game seemed to run alright. Trying to start actual game led to the load hanging up, however… And after I checked it, it happened in the GOG client prefix, but not in the game prefix. So then I ran the GOG client installer (from Lutris cache) in the game prefix, and after enduring the log process of library syncing I imported the game there… and got the exact same problem: character creation screen stopped loading in the game, even if I ran it without starting up the GOG client (from which, incidentally, the game simply refused to run). Turns out, if the game is even merely run from a prefix with the GOG client installed, it’ll be trying to connect with it (runnig GalaxyCommunication service), which apparently slows down load times to infinity…
So in the end, I didn’t get the problem that you have, but I got a bunch of others which seem to completely prevent me from playing this game with GOG client.