How to install the newest stable LibRetro/Retroarch on Lutris?

[UPDATE]: I noticed that Retroarch/LibRetro can install newer cores even when used on Lutris, however, the actual Lutris runner is an old version of Retroarch (1.9.4 vs the current 1.9.7), which is bugged and does not detect Vulkan support on my system, forcing the cores to fallback to the software renders.

So my question is now: Is it possible to make Lutris install the current Retroarch version? If so, how? Thanks in advance

[ORIGINAL]:

I’ve been having trouble using Vulkan render with the Libretro runner.

Lutris correctly recognizes that my computer supports Vulkan (see my system information as shown by Lutris), however, the Libretro runner does not. I installed the standalone Retroarch flatpak, and the Vulkan renderer works there. I noticed that the cores of the flatpak are newer than the ones provided by Lutris/LibRetro runner, and I wonder if there’s a way to get the updated cores to work on Lutris.

Here’s the system info detected by Lutris:

[System]
Arch: x86_64
Kernel: 5.11.0-25-generic
Desktop: KDE
Display Server: x11

[CPU]
Vendor: GenuineIntel
Model: Intel(R) Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz
Physical cores: 2
Logical cores: 4

[Memory]
RAM: 7.7 GB
Swap: 8.8 GB

[Graphics]
Vendor: Intel Open Source Technology Center
OpenGL Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400 (HSW GT2)
OpenGL Version: 3.0 Mesa 21.2.0 - kisak-mesa PPA
OpenGL Core: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 21.2.0 - kisak-mesa PPA
OpenGL ES: OpenGL ES 3.1 Mesa 21.2.0 - kisak-mesa PPA
Vulkan: Supported

As a side note, why are some Lutris runners outdated? The PPSSPP runner is also old but at least it can be easily replaced by a newer version using a system/symbolic link.