How to create a "wine-extension*-file" for right cklick in file manager

Hello

I have moved my old wine prefix of MS Office 2010 from normal wine into Lutris. I have deleted wine, because I now will use Lutris. To be more precise wine 5.0 from Lutris.

Before the move I was able to right click in the file manager on a *.doc, *.docx file and select “MS Word”. This way the file was opened by word. But since I now want to use this prefix with Lutris, all my old entries (for example wine-extension-docx.desktop) do certainly no longer work.

I know I should edit my old wine-extension* files that are in the folder “~/.local/share/applications/”. But how should exec look like, so that it will work?

I was able to create a starter.desktop with Lutris. But a starter-desktop is not a wine-extension-.desktop . But maybe the content of this starter.desktop could tell as, how we have to build the wine-extension-.desktop file. It looks like this:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.1
Type=Application
Name=Microsoft Word 2010
Icon=lutris_microsoft-word-2010
Exec=env LUTRIS_SKIP_INIT=1 lutris lutris:rungameid/6
Actions=
Categories=Game;
OnlyShowIn=Old;

As wine-extension-*.desktop fileI have tried this:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=Microsoft Word 2010 Lutris
Icon=835C_WINWORD.0
Exec=env LUTRIS_SKIP_INIT=1 lutris lutris:rungameid/6 %f
MimeType=application/msword;application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document;application/vnd.ms-word.document.macroEnabled.12;application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.template;application/vnd.ms-word.template.macroEnabled.12;application/vnd.ms-word.template;application/vnd.ms-word.document.12;application/x-wine-extension-dochtml;application/x-wine-extension-dothtml;
NoDisplay=true
StartupNotify=true

It has opened MS Word, but it has opened an empty site. My expectation was, that it will open the file on which I have right clicked.

Question: What command do I have to put instead of …
Exec=env LUTRIS_SKIP_INIT=1 lutris lutris:rungameid/6 %f

Can you please say me, how I can find this out?

Or can Lutris automatically create these wine-extension* files for me? I have not found such a function.

I use Xfce and thunar. Lutris 0.5.12

Edit:
The following wine-extension*file works:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=Microsoft Word 2010 Lutris
Icon=835C_WINWORD.0
Exec=env WINEPREFIX="/home/user/.local/share/wineprefixes/Microsoft_2010_Office_Visio/" /home/user/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-5.0-x86_64/bin/wine start /ProgIDOpen Word.Document.12 %f
MimeType=application/msword;application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document;application/vnd.ms-word.document.macroEnabled.12;application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.template;application/vnd.ms-word.template.macroEnabled.12;application/vnd.ms-word.template;application/vnd.ms-word.document.12;application/x-wine-extension-dochtml;application/x-wine-extension-dothtml;
NoDisplay=true
StartupNotify=true

But I ask me this: When I start a file by right click in thunar with this “wine-extension*-file” does it then take into account all the settings and the configuration made in Lutris? I doubt, because in this exec command nothing indicates that Lutris is somehow involved!

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Would appreciate some answer. Thank you.

Might be a bug, but I’ve never not had a system WINE version as fallback because it is in the install instructions:

install a recent version of Wine on your system. This will provide all necessary dependency as Lutris cannot ship with every component in its runtime.

5.12 is pretty old, so it might just be a limitation of that. You can probably work around it by setting session WINE/WINEPREFIX/WINEARCH environment variables to use a runner WINE as “default” before launching your app/Lutris.

Your Edit:
Correct - Lutris will not be involved - your shortcut is invoking WINE directly, and you’re invoking the default file association to launch the Word executable.