How frequent is DXVK getting updated?

Hi folks!

Newest version of Lutris got us a convenient DXVK checkbox for our games. Neat!

I’ve got a few questions regarding on how to handle updates on it:

1. How frequent is DXVK in Lutris being updated? On every major Lutris update (may be a bit slow), checks on Lutris startup, etc.

2. How to check which version of DXVK is currently in Lutris?

3. Where are the DLLs placed and can I update them manually? E.g. if a new DXVK is released, can I just overwrite them in the Lutris folder. Also, what happens if after that Lutris updates their DXVK files - overwritten again?

4. Follow-up question on 3: I run Arch and there is a pretty-updated dxvk-bin package in the AUR. Can’t I just symlink these DLLs to the Lutris DXVK folder, so when the AUR package updates, I instantly also have the newest DLLs used by Lutris? Again, what happens if Lutris updates their DXVK DLLs, are my symlinks being overwritten?

5 Likes

All good questions, hopefully I can answer a couple of them for you from what I have read around reddit and other places.

First off the bat is that Strider has mentioned in reddit that the DXVK implementation will be ‘Fixed’ in 4.17 release. Right now it is sort of hard coded into the system and he wants to implement DXVK version choices etc.
I would assume that he will probably set up some sort of cron job on the backend to automatically pull the release updates from GIT and implement them into the lutris client. Although this is merely speculation on my part.

In answer to number 2 and 3, you can currently find the DXVK version and location in .local/share/lutris/runtime/dxvk/
Right now there is a folder with .50 and the DLLs are in there. You can easily overwrite the DLLs with the most recent version from GIT at the moment. However with the 4.17 update this might become obsolete.

As for 4. I am quite sure that you could sim link the DLL files from dxvk_bin and use it that way, however you would have to keep the DXVK version in Lutris (when it becomes available) the same due to the folder structure of DXVK in lutris at the moment.

All of this information should hopefully become irrelevant once the 4.17 relase drops :smiley:

0.4.17 should be out tomorrow!

The DXVK related code has been fixed in git, we now have a dropdown showing all known DXVK version along with a ‘manual’ option which will activate DXVK but won’t mess with the DLLs themselves.

I would assume that he will probably set up some sort of cron job on the backend to automatically pull the release updates from GIT and implement them into the lutris client.

Wow, I’m far too lazy to come up with something that complicated :smiley:

The dxvk_version is simply editable which means that install scripts and users can set the dxvk version to whatever they want.

We will update the known versions on each release but with a free form field it’s not even needed.

Not complicated at all, although it has been a while since I did any scripting and such :smiley:

Could be setup easily on a build server, or by using one of the free continuous deployment options for both wine and DXVK.

Oh and thank you for the release, it should come in very handy for testing and running loads of games.

Could be setup easily on a build server, or by using one of the free continuous deployment options for both wine and DXVK.

It’s planned but for Wine only, not DXVK

You can get every new release of DXVK by just putting in the version number.

You want it more often, you can make a folder called “latest” (or w/e) in the .local/share/lutris/runtime/dxvk folder, put your latest binaries in there. Then select that by typing “latest” as the version.

Is there an option to symlink to my DLLs so that Lutris uses them? Also, so that the symlinked files don’t get overwritten? :smiley:

Use the “manual” option.
Also, Lutris doesn’t use symlinks for DXVK.

Sorry to dig the thread out but there is no up-to-date answer for how lutris manages its dxvk runtime folder. I’m on Gentoo with the 0.5.8.3 build on python 3.7 and I’m stuck on dxvk 1.7L-3322da4-2 for the lutris version while there is a 1.8.1 on the lutris git fork from two weeks ago. Extracting the tarball to the folder doesn’t seems to make any change on the lutris side, as it’s not listed and manually inputting the 1.8.1 seems to make lutris crash. Does lutris 0.5.8.X now manage this folder automatically? If yes is there a way to force update/sync it?

1 Like