How does lutris work when installing games?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS0Jd_DNXdg, this one is pretty good

Thanks, will check it out shortly

Your welcome

I saw a program that can do this, have you heard of gnome disks? Seems that it is the safest way to auto mount a drive

I have heard of it, but it has a bunch of dependencies that take up space and can cause conflicts with other desktop environments so I typically use the universal fstab configuration. If you are going to use gnome then go ahead and use gnome disks if you want, KDE also has their own disk management tool IIRC. Look into what desktop environment you are going to use first. If in doubt just edit /etc/fstab, both do the same thing and messing up in either is just as dangerous as doing it the other method.

You said the only thing i need to do to auto mount is: sudo chown USERNAME:USERNAME -R /your/mount/location, is that right? Or do I also need to edit fstab?

You need to edit fstab first, the tutorial and video I linked tell you how to do that. You change the permissions of whatever directory you want to mount it to after it auto mounts the first time so you will get access to it.

So okay, I’ll create a directory like media/mnt then do the following command: sudo chown USERNAME:USERNAME -R media/mnt. After that, edit the fstab by copying something like this: UUID=" " media/mnt type(ntfs, ext4 etc) defaults 0 0. Is that right?

Yeah, just do one type without the parenthesis and make sure the permissions are the same after it mounts the first time. I would also set the name to something other than mnt like storage or games simply so you know that what it actually is since there is a folder at /mnt that has the same name. You should also change sudo chown USERNAME:USERNAME -R media/mnt to sudo chown USERNAME:USERNAME -R /media/mnt or you will create a directory in /home called media instead of using /media (unless of course that is your intent).

I see. I plan to use ubuntu and searched auto mounting, now I found this vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CDdIFL-nWM Question is, will that work? Because it is much simpler and without any risks.

I looked at it and it might create a very long mount point folder at /mnt which will be a pain to type in the lutris installer, that and using /mnt for permanent mount points usually is not recommended. You will still have to specify the options for the partition as anything other than defaults for a normal partition on a hard disk is not recommended and you will still have to create the mount point folder of your choice in /media then you will have to change its permissions with chown. Its basically doing the exact same thing as editing fstab except in a GUI instead of with a text editor. Also the risks are exactly the same, it is no safer to do it with a GUI than it is to edit the fstab directly. The only difference is editing the fstab directly is universal whereas using the GUI can have a vastly differing experience with the steps and configuriation not being entirely consistent depending on which program you use and which version of that program you are using.

Okay. I’ll just go through it with fstab, shouldn’t be hard. But one thing, what about monitors which have 144hz? I’ve heard linux has a hard time saving the monitor setttings to 144hz. Any workaround?

I am not sure, I have never had a monitor that uses a refresh rate above 60. Although not saving settings sounds like a bug rather than something wrong with Linux in general, so it probably has been fixed already. If not then you would have to modify the xorg configs directly.

But the sudo chown command does work with ubuntu, right? Or is there some other way I need to do?

chown works on every distro, and sudo on the vast majority of distros

Okay, I’m back now on linux. It seems my hdd is already mounted? But I need to format it to ext4. Any ideas?

And, I need help. My steam is bugged. Picture: Screenshot%20from%202019-04-29%2021-09-44

Steam froze my whole computer, wtf is going on?!?!

Okay nevermind, I just needed to restart and it got fixed.

Well, obviously, formatting it means replacing its entire file tree, so you have to unmount it first. As for “how to format it” – you need to mark it as Linux partition first (partition type 83) and then overwrite the filesystem. Usually I change partitions with fdisk and format Ext4 with mkfs.ext4 utilities, but if you prefer GUI then your weapon of choice would probably be GParted.
…Also, don’t forget to update fstab config after changing filesystem type.

Well, that looks like a glitch. Don’t recall seeing one quite like that… What videocard do you have? Are you using proprietary drivers or opensource? (Though I’ve heard the latter is only an NVidia issue nowadays)