GoG galaxy connection troubles

Hi everyone,

I’m trying to play No Man’s Sky with a friend using the online multiplayer. I recently noticed a new installer allowing to use (theoretically) NMS online with GoG activated but I can’t make it work.

According to what I understand from the installers, I have to use the installer of NMS including GoG Galaxy (the second one on https://lutris.net/games/no-mans-sky/) and either install GoG Galaxy on a separate version or use the one install with NMS. I tried both and I have the exact same issue.

After updating both NMS and GoG until the latest version, I am able to launch NMS fine. The game run smoothly as expected. But I can’t get online as I need to be connected through GoG and the issues begin. Whichever version I use (the standalone or the included) I always face the same problem : it can’t load the loading screen. The rectangular shape of the loading screen appear, and it seems to try to connect until it fails. I join the log below:

https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/d9qTsJ8zZm/

Thank you in advance for your help :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is your problem:

[0615/175430.506:ERROR:network_change_notifier_win.cc(156)] WSALookupServiceBegin failed with: 0

I just dealt with this error myself for the Ubisoft Connect Launcher, in the Lutris configuration just disable the Lutris Runtime and it should work.
If not, try installing a Wine GE version, you can use Protonup-Qt for this.

Hi,

Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately it is not an issue with Lutris runtime, which was already disabled. But I will try the Protonup-Qt solution today, thank you :slight_smile:

If the runtime was disabled try enabling it

Edit: The original steps aren’t working with Galaxy 2.0.50.34. I may very well have remembered the wrong steps. The updated steps just below this edit just worked for me a few minutes ago.

1> Installed just the Galaxy client via Lutris: GOG Galaxy - Lutris
2> Launched Galaxy, configured it to my liking, and waited for my game library to load
3> Manually downloaded NMS via the Extras page for NMS (within Galaxy)
4> Attempted to install NMS via Galaxy. It downloaded again, and failed at 97%
5> Closed Galaxy, then used the stop button in Lutris to ensure it was stopped
6> Installed NMS manually using the menu option " Run EXE Inside Wine Prefix" The exe can be found at
/home/username/Games/gog-galaxy/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/GOG Galaxy/Games/No Man’s Sky/!Downloads
7> Started Galaxy, went to the game page, and it automatically found and updated NMS.

NMS is working normally, via the Galaxy client.

Original Reply:
I only play NMS solo, but found that many features require the Galaxy client. I recently got the game functioning properly with online features via Galaxy. Following are the steps I followed:

1> Installed just the Galaxy client via Lutris: GOG Galaxy - Lutris
2> Launched Galaxy, configured it to my liking, and waited for my game library to load
3> Attempted to install NMS via Galaxy. It downloaded, and failed at 97%
4> Closed Galaxy, then re-launched via Lutris
5> Manually downloaded NMS via the Extras page for NMS (within Galaxy)
6> Attempted installation again. It looked like it was re-downloading, but it installed successfully.

Online discovery services are working, I can see other player bases, and I can play the current expedition. I can only assume multiplayer would also work if I turned it on.

Hi !

If the runtime was disabled try enabling it

It does not change anything

I only play NMS solo, but found that many features require the Galaxy client. I recently got the game functioning properly with online features via Galaxy. Following are the steps I followed:

1> Installed just the Galaxy client via Lutris: https://lutris.net/games/gog-galaxy/
3> Attempted to install NMS via Galaxy. It downloaded, and failed at 97%
4> Closed Galaxy, then re-launched via Lutris
5> Manually downloaded NMS via the Extras page for NMS (within Galaxy)
6> Attempted installation again. It looked like it was re-downloading, but it installed successfully.

Online discovery services are working, I can see other player bases, and I can play the current expedition. I can only assume multiplayer would also work if I turned it on.

Unfortunately my issue is before that as I can’t event launch GoG galaxy :confused:

If not, try installing a Wine GE version, you can use Protonup-Qt for this.

The AUR package seems to be broken. I will try to find another way to install it.

Did you remove the galaxy/NMS installation, then just install Galaxy by itself (using the script at the link I provided)? I thought about trying the dual (Galaxy with NMS) installer, but I have a few other GOG games I’d like to use with the client as well. I wasn’t sure if the dual install would work for that.

Note: I just installed GOG Galaxy on Mint 20.3 as a test, it runs normally once I turn off fsync in the configuration. I’m in the process of attempting installation of NMS as I type this.

After re-reading your post without distraction, I realized the primary issue is with Galaxy. I also realized you’re running an Nvidia card, which may make a difference compared to my AMD setup. Sorry if I’ve wasted your time.

Yeah I try both :confused:

Don’t worry :slight_smile: It is possible the GPU is cosing the issue, I noticed the following line on the logs :

Logger Exception: Cannot open file(C:\ProgramData/GOG.com/Galaxy/logs\ClientHelper-Gpu.log), code 0
Logger Exception: Cannot open file(C:\ProgramData/GOG.com/Galaxy/logs\ClientHelper-Gpu.log), code 0

They appear at the moment when the software attempt to connect. But I have no idea about the issue…

And? Has someone any idea? I’m sick about this, because I have this problem permanently and I can’t catch any clue what is the cause.