GeForce NOW finally works

GeForce Now finally works in wine but the results differ from user to user.
You need to compile first beafore using :
GeForce Now : https://github.com/aabgrall/wine-base-geforcenow
GeForce Now tutorial:https://system.basechan.org/wine-gfn.txt

Huge thanks to Kxsz98 (Discord) the author of this fix.
Rogue Company in GFN - Linux : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqb_LKo34Q8&t=36s

Would be very helpful if we could add this build into lutris.

There’s zero chance of that happening any time soon.

Also, it’s not playable. GeForceNOW throttles the user’s connection when trying to play in Wine 10X vs Windows, because it thinks you’re connected to a VPN when you’re not (and we don’t know if that’s a cause or a symptom). So far we haven’t been able to find any possible reason why it’s happening, and it’s going to be hard to figure out without some insight from Nvidia as to how they determine your connection quality.

Oh, and the 10X throttle is the best-case scenario. Best-case, you’ll only get 3Mbps in wine when you’d get 30Mbps in Windows on the same connection, and in Wine it looks like an oil painting, it’s completely unplayable (while on Windows it looks as if it’s running on your native hardware). But there are only 3 of us working on it right now, One of us (me) is able to get the “best-case” scenario (10X throttling), while one of us (kxsz) doesn’t have a connection good enough to even bother, and the other has a connection just as good as mine, and yet they can’t even play for more than a minute or so before being kicked for connection issues (and this guy is a Gentoo dev and a C programmer). Two others have tried to help test and they can’t even get it to work at all.

It’s not “working” yet, this solution at least will never be upstreamed or brought into Lutris), but hopefully something better can be figured out.

I’ve got GFN “working” using the lutris installer, and then disabling DXVK in the runner options. In the GFN settings window I chose the highest setting (competitive). With these settings I get an almost OK experience, but it stutters and is blocky, and the little yellow network icon is almost always on. Really, not playable with any enjoyment. (Games: Tomb Raider, Dues EX Mankind Divided)
By comparison, Stadia in Chrome runs flawlessly on the same machine. GFN network tests consistently gets between 1% and 8% packet loss, which is nothing to do with my wired, FTTC 80/20 internet service.

So, long way of saying I think I’m in the same boat as you guys with this.

Noting that there are just 3 of you working on this, is there any way I could help? I’ve got a Gentoo system, and am willing to do grunt work for you if it helps.

You should be able to use DXVK now. It’s improved drastically.

What GPU are you using? Because both AMD and Nvidia should be playable at this point if you have the network connection

08:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480/570/570X/580/580X/590] (rev e7)

While playing, GFN client regularly states the connection is “spotty”. Overall games are unpayable. Disabling DXVK gave a very slight improvement.

While playing, I track my GPU temperature and fan speed - these remain stable (i.e. low). Looks like the client is not using GPU hardware at all.

Edit: just for comparison, Google Chrome on Linux does not use GPU acceleration either. Same machine, same user, stadia is smooth and video high quality, GFN client is jerky, video blocky, blurred, and fairly obvious network issues.
May be I’m not on your latest Wine version - should I uninstall and re-install with Lutris to get a more up to date version? Runner says I’m using lutris-gfn-5-x86_64.

As a follow up, I used the approach in this article: How to play GeForce Now in your Chrome browser
With the user agent as suggested, Google Chrome plays GFN more or less the same as Stadia. I can compare the same game (Tomb Raider) since I have it on both. Stadia has a little bit less lag than GFN - but I haven’t tweaked any network settings yet. Stadia controller and Xbox controller work fine.

Looks like this may be a low hassle way forward for Linux users, assuming Nvidia don’t get nasty about it.

There is already a lutris install script for the web version, too.