Games have no sound but only when launched from Lutris

I’m experiencing a weird problem where the majority of games have no sound when I launch them from Lutris. The native Linux games I can also just launch without Lutris, and they work fine if I do that. I will get varying error messager per game, for example:

VVVVVV:
ALSA lib pulse.c:243:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect: Protocol error

Braid:
ALSA lib conf.c:3523:(snd_config_hooks_call) Cannot open shared library libasound_module_conf_pulse.so

Some games work normally though, 140 for example.

And I don’t seem to have any sound at all in Retroarch or WINE etc. How can I go about troubleshooting this?

1 Like

Update on this issue. The most confusing thing was that I restored my computer using a backup from around a year ago and this problem persisted. I determined that if I disable my WiFi after restoring from a backup then everything runs fine, so Lutris is clearly downloading an update and thereby breaking itself.

Any suggestions what I should do about this? I feel like disabling internet whenever I use Lutris is a pretty bad workaround. Is there some way to tell Lutris not to update itself?

By the way, I’m sure I’m not using the latest version of Lutris as I tried to upgrade a while ago and that also seemed to break everything. How do I actually check what version of Lutris I’m on?

This is a regression present in all version after 0.5.9-beta1

Download such version from here:

Install it with:
sudo dpkg -i ~/Downloads/lutris_0.5.9-beta1_all.deb