Exit with return code 256

Hello i want to install Battlenet on Lutris and everytime i get the following. What can i do to solve this?

Started initial process 135 from /home/florian/.var/app/net.lutris.Lutris/data/lutris/runtime/winetricks/winetricks --unattended arial
Start monitoring process.

warning: You are running winetricks-20220411-next, latest upstream is winetricks-20230212!

warning: You should update using your distribution’s package manager, --self-update, or manually.

Executing mkdir -p /home/florian/Games

warning: You are using a 64-bit WINEPREFIX. Note that many verbs only install 32-bit versions of packages. If you encounter problems, please retest in a clean 32-bit WINEPREFIX before reporting a bug.

Using winetricks 20220411-next - sha256sum: 50b745d7f46ead56fd0c9e6d753d53ea0ae368c988434c25d65fec66307e5d4f with wine-7.2-1-g2b48f296545 (Staging) and WINEARCH=win64
Executing w_do_call arial

warning: You are using a 64-bit WINEPREFIX. Note that many verbs only install 32-bit versions of packages. If you encounter problems, please retest in a clean 32-bit WINEPREFIX before reporting a bug.

Executing load_arial
grep: Warnung: überzähliges \ vor /
Executing cabextract -q -d /home/florian/Games/neu/dosdevices/c:/windows/temp /home/florian/.var/app/net.lutris.Lutris/cache/winetricks/corefonts/arial32.exe

warning: Running /home/florian/.var/app/net.lutris.Lutris/data/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-fshack-7.2-x86_64/bin/wineserver -w. This will hang until all wine processes in prefix=/home/florian/Games/neu terminate

Executing /home/florian/.var/app/net.lutris.Lutris/data/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-fshack-7.2-x86_64/bin/wine regedit /S C:\windows\Temp_register-font.reg
esync: up and running.
ATTENTION: default value of option mesa_glthread overridden by environment.
Executing /home/florian/.var/app/net.lutris.Lutris/data/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-fshack-7.2-x86_64/bin/wine64 regedit /S C:\windows\Temp_register-font.reg
Executing cp /home/florian/Games/neu/dosdevices/c:/windows/temp/_register-font.reg /tmp/winetricks.o8RD3U0s/_reg_304f5183_135.reg
Executing /home/florian/.var/app/net.lutris.Lutris/data/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-fshack-7.2-x86_64/bin/wine regedit /S C:\windows\Temp_register-font.reg
Executing /home/florian/.var/app/net.lutris.Lutris/data/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-fshack-7.2-x86_64/bin/wine64 regedit /S C:\windows\Temp_register-font.reg
Executing cp /home/florian/Games/neu/dosdevices/c:/windows/temp/_register-font.reg /tmp/winetricks.o8RD3U0s/_reg_964415d4_135.reg
Executing cp /home/florian/Games/neu/dosdevices/c:/windows/temp/_register-font.reg /tmp/winetricks.o8RD3U0s/_reg_1f616c49_135.reg
Executing cp /home/florian/Games/neu/dosdevices/c:/windows/temp/_register-font.reg /tmp/winetricks.o8RD3U0s/_reg_16f0ad00_135.reg
Executing cp /home/florian/Games/neu/dosdevices/c:/windows/temp/_register-font.reg /tmp/winetricks.o8RD3U0s/_reg_afb17c0c_135.reg
Executing cp /home/florian/Games/neu/dosdevices/c:/windows/temp/_register-font.reg /tmp/winetricks.o8RD3U0s/_reg_4cd1fddd_135.reg
Executing cp /home/florian/Games/neu/dosdevices/c:/windows/temp/_register-font.reg /tmp/winetricks.o8RD3U0s/_reg_dae52f18_135.reg
Executing cp /home/florian/Games/neu/dosdevices/c:/windows/temp/_register-font.reg /tmp/winetricks.o8RD3U0s/_reg_f89c822c_135.reg
Executing cabextract -q -d /home/florian/Games/neu/dosdevices/c:/windows/temp /home/florian/.var/app/net.lutris.Lutris/cache/winetricks/corefonts/arialb32.exe

warning: Running /home/florian/.var/app/net.lutris.Lutris/data/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-fshack-7.2-x86_64/bin/wineserver -w. This will hang until all wine processes in prefix=/home/florian/Games/neu terminate

Executing cp /home/florian/Games/neu/dosdevices/c:/windows/temp/_register-font.reg /tmp/winetricks.o8RD3U0s/_reg_66d0267b_135.reg
Executing cp /home/florian/Games/neu/dosdevices/c:/windows/temp/_register-font.reg /tmp/winetricks.o8RD3U0s/_reg_8067e78b_135.reg
Monitored process exited.
Initial process has exited (return code: 0)
Exit with return code 0
Started initial process 1374 from /home/florian/.var/app/net.lutris.Lutris/data/lutris/runtime/winetricks/winetricks --unattended tahoma

warning: You are running winetricks-20220411-next, latest upstream is winetricks-20230212!

warning: You should update using your distribution’s package manager, --self-update, or manually.

Using winetricks 20220411-next - sha256sum: 50b745d7f46ead56fd0c9e6d753d53ea0ae368c988434c25d65fec66307e5d4f with wine-7.2-1-g2b48f296545 (Staging) and WINEARCH=win64
Executing w_do_call tahoma

Executing load_tahoma
Executing cabextract -q -d /home/florian/Games/neu/dosdevices/c:/windows/temp /home/florian/.var/app/net.lutris.Lutris/cache/winetricks/tahoma/IELPKTH.CAB
/home/florian/.var/app/net.lutris.Lutris/cache/winetricks/tahoma/IELPKTH.CAB: WARNING; possible 5592 extra bytes at end of file.

Executing cp /home/florian/Games/neu/dosdevices/c:/windows/temp/_register-font.reg /tmp/winetricks.x5h7peE1/_reg_a6378261_1374.reg
Executing cp /home/florian/Games/neu/dosdevices/c:/windows/temp/_register-font.reg /tmp/winetricks.x5h7peE1/_reg_2381d506_1374.reg
Executing cp /home/florian/Games/neu/dosdevices/c:/windows/temp/_register-font.reg /tmp/winetricks.x5h7peE1/_reg_21e53125_1374.reg
Executing cp /home/florian/Games/neu/dosdevices/c:/windows/temp/_register-font.reg /tmp/winetricks.x5h7peE1/_reg_4779f8a8_1374.reg
Initial process has exited (return code: 0)
Exit with return code 0
Started initial process 2377 from /usr/bin/bash -c WINEPREFIX=“/home/florian/Games/neu” “/home/florian/.var/app/net.lutris.Lutris/data/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-fshack-7.2-x86_64/bin/wine” “/home/florian/Games/neu”/drive_c/Battle.net-Setup.exe
01c8:err:esync:esync_init Server is running with WINEESYNC but this process is not, please enable WINEESYNC or restart wineserver.
Initial process has exited (return code: 256)
All processes have quit
Exit with return code 256

i solved it for me. I installed Battlenet with Wine Installer. Then imported it to Lutris. Everything works now fine.

Hi,
You can test folloing…

get the newest wine- staging- version from the WineHQ repository Download - WineHQ Wiki
Follow the instructions for you’re Distro and updating Winetricks with folloing command as root: “sudo winetricks --self-update”

Than after install the newest Wine from WineHQ set the newest Wine-Staging in the global config for wine in Lutris as default wine version, try to disable fsync because wine-staging dosen’t compiled for this and try to install the Game after this.
I have in my case trouble to with the Lutris- Wine 7.22 if i installed something but with wine-staging there came no error 256.
I wish you good luck
Greetings

I’m also getting this issue. Except with the steam deck. How would I get the newest wine version from WineHQ on arch?

I got this exact same issue, except it only happened after I updated everything.

Logs:
http://paste.bingner.com/paste/82efp

I think “ProtonUpQT” can download the wine you want even if you can install it on steamdeck?

The Installer exists for .Appimage file or on FlatHub but i don’t know if you can it install it on that way.

If it works you can update Wine, Wine-GE, DXVK and so on thru this little helper for Steam, Lutris (both flatpak and normal install from ppa).

Tell me if it’s worked for you.
Greetings

In Lutris, on the left hand panel under the runners section, click wine then the folder next to it. This will allow you to install the latest wine-ge 8.17 version directly for use in lutris. It is required if you are using the 0.5.13 version of lutris which has issues with other versions and installs. This also works on the Steam Deck. The other components are automatically updated in Lutris