Epic Games Store not starting

I got this one when i ran the 32 bit version:

LogStreaming: Warning: Failed to read file ‘…/…/…/Engine/Content/Slate/Old/DashedBorder.png’ error.

I got both the 32 and 64 bit version and after I pointed Lutris to the 64 bit version these messages went away.

Like this:

[wine-prefix-location]/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Epic Games/Launcher/Portal/Binaries/Win64/EpicGamesLauncher.exe

This one looks interesting though:

Warning: Failed to read file ‘C:/ProgramData/Epic/EpicGamesLauncher/Data/Launcher.manifest’ error.

My guess some sort of connection problem caused some file problems.

You can try to exit Lutris, reboot first as that can fix things sometimes.

But, I would remove EGS from Lutris and delete the prefix (the folder for EGS possibly in ~/Lutris/) then install it again.

EGS works for me so it shouldn’t be broken here.

Unless maybe the installer didn’t catch a required package that needs to be installed which is the only other thing I can think of. But, I don’t think its that.

Hi,

Thanks to both!

@tfk I am not sure about 32 and 64… I actually don’t know where and how to change that. I was not able to find enough relevant info about that. I know during the installation of EGS I got several “warnings” similar to this one:

“You are using a 64-bit WINEPREFIX. Note that many verbs only install 32-bit versions of packages. If you encounter problems, please retest in a clean 32-bit WINEPREFIX before reporting a bug.”

So you mean changing the 32/64 bit installation of the EGS inside Lutris? Of Wine? how do I change that? Sorry if they are silly questions, but I am quite confused with the bit support…

@staticjump I re-instaled EGS several times, but didn’t delete the folder inside ~/local/share/lutris/. I actually just uninstalled lutris, deleted all related files and reinstalled it… Installed again the EGS runner from the official link (got the wine 32/64 messages again). Same sequence, EGS starts by downloading a 388.5 MB update and after that… nothing. Every time I start it it says “verifying update” and exits right at the end.

Any other ideas are welcome.

Thanks again

I am not sure about 32 and 64…

No, my game (which is launched via the Epic Launcher) is installed in a standard 64bit prefix.

Like this:

[wine-prefix-location]/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Epic Games/Launcher/Portal/Binaries/Win64/EpicGamesLauncher.exe

I clicked on the settings button (Configuration) for the game in Lutris and in the dialog in the Game options tab I changed the /Win32/ bit to /Win64/ in the Executable path. After checking this version was also installed of course…

Warning message
The warning you mentioned just warns that many winetricks install only 32 bit libraries. Those won’t work with a 64bit game. So before posting a bug report they advise to retest in a pure 32bit wine prefix. That’s all.

I have the same issue, but the Win64 path is missing, there’s only Win32.

The installer of my game installed Epic Launcher directly from here:

https://launcher-public-service-prod06.ol.epicgames.com/launcher/api/installer/download/EpicGamesLauncherInstaller.msi

The Lutris installer script set the prefix to 64bit explicitly. Maybe the Epic Launcher install decides installing the 64bit version on this switch?

The weird thing is that I have installed it through Lutris’ installer script. So I am unsure why it would then be missing the Win64 directory.

Which installer did you use?

This one: https://lutris.net/games/epic-games-store/

My game is Phoenix Point:

The installers are very similar. One difference I see is that the EGS installer sets the prefix to emulate Windows 7 where the Phoenix Point version doesn’t.

You could run the installer for Phoenix Point as this one only installs EGS. Just to check if this makes a difference. Note that the installer lets the prefix point to EGS in the Win32 directory. If the directory is available then the prefix must be pointed to this version.

Hmm, so using Phoenix Point, I get an error about there being a problem with my graphics card. The difference being that vkd3d is disabled in Phoenix Point. Enabling this gives me the same behaviour as the EGS installer.

My installation is definitely Win64 because if I change the EGS runner to use Win32, it fails saying the installation is for Win64. But I still get those error messages.

However, I’ve seen some logs from other people and they can run the EGS even with those messages in the logs. So the problem seems to be different.

Another issue I have which might be or might not be related is that most games on Steam do not work for me with the default Photon 5, when I switch to an older version (photon 4.13), most of them work. But I have no idea what photon is and whether the Lutris runner uses it… Sorry if it is totally unrelated.

I just used your link to install phoenix point and after installing, I get the same message as @Oipo

Enabling vkd3d on the lutris runner configuration of Phoenix Point does as well result in the same behavior as with the other installer.

phoenixpoint

Have you read the reported issue here:

Check the checkbox Show solved issues and search for There is a problem with your graphics card.

Some are mentioning there are some missing Vulkan libraries.

Hey!!! It worked!!!

I didn’t even realise there were hidden posts, sorry about that.

I tried first by disabling dxvk and it started immediately! I will later try by installing other vulkan dependencies that might be missing.

Thanks a lot! Let’s hope games work now.

3 Likes

I had to both disable dxvk as well as disable the “prefer system libraries” option. But then it started working! Thanks so much guys.

2 Likes

This worked for me too!

Hey I have had the same problem and didn’t understand how you did it, can you please explain how you made it work?

You know as a minor Windows user i own thousands dollars worth epic games it would be nice to play some games on a powerful computer

They got it to work by disabling DXVK in the Lutris game settings. DXVK translates directx commands to Vulkan commands. If you have a Vulkan capable system and your system uses the correct driver then installing the Vulkan libraries should work.

Here is the full story on DXVK:

This page describes common methods of installing the correct drivers for the GPU:

You need to end epic games process from the task manager. This post here - https://droidtheory.com/fix-epic-game-launcher-not-working/ helped me in fixing the issue with epic games on your pc.