Epic games crashes at startup without any message

Hi. I’ve been using Epic Games launcher downloaded from Lutris database and everything worked well. Suddenly, it started crashing at the startup. The only thing I’ve changed was that I added the gamemode to values. Now I removed Epic Games completely and installed it again. Same thing happens. Strange thing is that gamemode still runs when I try to launch Epic, even though it’s not among the values anymore. I have no idea what’s going on. Is there some way to get crash log or something? Also if some of you know how to remove gamemode, I would be extremely grateful.

2 Likes

It is a problem with the newest Lutris version I believe, best thing we can do is report it on the github page.

1 Like

Could be. Although, it worked today morning. Strange. Thanks for the reply. Hopefully, someone will find a solution, or the real cause of the problem.

1 Like

I have the same issue, the installer run fine, update windows shows up, but then i get blank screen and i can’t even login.

1 Like

I had asked if anyone else was having the same problem with GTA V because of the new Lutris version on r/Lutris earlier and this fine gentleman decided to promise to respond if he found a solution. He did and here it is:

THIS IS SPECIFICALLY FOR THE FIX OF GTA V AND GTA V ONLINE THROUGH LUTRIS EPIC GAMES

"Well lucky you I found a temporary solution. You will need to downgrade Lutris to a version before 5.8.1 (I downgraded to 5.7.1) because you will need to use proton-ge-custom instead of Lutris Wine builds (Lutris removed the ability to use proton versions in version 5.8.1) . You can download custom proton builds from here (install guide is also available on its readme, I am using the 5.21-1 version). Select that version from the runners menu after you install it and launch the game like you always do, both EGS and GTAV should work.

Note: You will need to copy your Wine user’s “Rockstar Games” folder from “My Documents” to the steamuser’s “My Documents” to keep your settings.

This is kinda funky but still this is a temporary solution and hopefully they will fix it sometime."

His username on Reddit is u/Awsim_, big help for this. This is personally working for me and is only a temporary fix waiting for Lutris to officially fix the problem.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. Seems confusing, but I’ll try to understand and fix it. I’m just afraid I’ll make things worse with my other games haha.

1 Like

Exactly. Just black screen for a second or two and then it disappears.

Since today I have the same problem. Here is the lutris log:

Running gamemoderun gamemoderun /home/pavel/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-5.7-10-x86_64/bin/wine /home/pavel/Games/epic-games-store/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Epic Games/Launcher/Portal/Binaries/Win32/EpicGamesLauncher.exe -opengl -SkipBuildPatchPrereq
Initial process has started with pid 10462
Start monitoring process.
gamemodeauto:
ERROR: ld.so: object ‘/usr/$LIB/libgamemodeauto.so.0’ from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (cannot open shared object file): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object ‘/usr/$LIB/libgamemodeauto.so.0’ from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (cannot open shared object file): ignored.
esync: up and running.
Initial process has exited (return code: 0)
wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0000000000000000 at address 000000000818587B (thread 002e), starting debugger…
Caught signal 15
passing along signal to PID 10635
passing along signal to PID 10638
–terminated processes–
Monitored process exited.
All monitored processes have exited.
Exit with returncode 0

Any ideas? Thanks.