Dpad Not Working (GOG - Mortal Kombat Trilogy)`

I bought MKT on GOG and have an Xbox Series controller connected via USB. It’sMOSTLY working in that game except the Dpad. It will only recognize inputs from the left analog stick. I’m really not sure what to do. I don’t mind the left stick controlling the character, but no control at all with the Dpad is a deal breaker. I wouldn’t even mind if the Dpad were configured to clone the left stick inputs.

The MKT control options only allow mapping of the action buttons, and NOT the directionals (up, down, left, right). Anyway, I’m lost and any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

Ahh, joysticks and WINE - always a fight :slight_smile:

Two drivers that I used to know of (I haven’t used a gamepad in years, just flightsticks)

• xpad (supported most MS joypads and be in recent kernels? probably); and
  • xboxdrv (worked for older sticks and knock offs and was a workaround for some games)

Check if xpad is loading (should be, unless your distro doesn’t build their kernel with it)
lsmod | grep xpad
After that, run wine control joy.cpl inside the prefix to run the MS joystick tester. Does the dpad work at all?

If it is loading the module, and working on the default joystick tester, default WINE, then it’s a runner thing. You need to look at a WINE registry hack to get it working. There used to be a couple of guides for HOTAS stuff, but I’m sure there’s one for joypads. Otherwise it’s a weird game thing.

Failing that, running the game with Proton might have better results.

1 Like

My official wireless XBox360 controller reacts the same way on GOG version which sucks as analog stick is just flat out worse than a d-pad for fighting games. but I generally use a X-Arcade stick and in that regard it’s okay though since that’s seen as a keyboard to stuff in general.

but I found a MK Trilogy on ‘mksecrets’ website (i.e. Mortal Kombat Trilogy Kommunity Patch - Mortal Kombat Secrets ) and after installing that one (I used the newest MKTSetup342 zip file which is from Aug 18th 2023) works as it’s using DOSBox as I just ran the ‘MKTRIL.CMD’ on a test shortcut in Lutris and it loads up DosBox and with some quick use has no obvious controller issues with D-pad.

p.s. but I recommend ‘Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3’ over Trilogy since that has a proper arcade version unlike MKT (I think UMK3 is basically the peak of the MK series straight up, but generally the 2D era is superior to the modern ones overall). just run UMK3 etc (you can even get MK1/MK2/MK3 arcade versions if you want) through MAME arcade emulator as that should have no problems with a XBox controller.

1 Like

Another thought I’ve had is just getting a 8bitdo controller that doesn’t have sticks and see if that works. I have other “retro box” projects I can use it on if that doesn’t work out so it wouldn’t be a loss if it doesn’t work of MKT.

And I hear you on the UMK3 thing. Back in the day, I was stoked for MKT on N64 until I actually played it and was left disappointed with N64’s horrible audio. This PC-WIN version of MKT would let me realize that lifelong desire if I can just get over this stick/dpad thing. Point being, I was the Raiden and Johnny Cage play time. I think they are sorely missed in UMK3 IMHO. <3

The other thing I thought about was MUGEN, but holy smokes, that’s a whole other confusing animal lol!