Doom 2016 - Black Screen

Install goes fine (Vulkan install). But I get a black screen at start up. I figured it’d load eventually, but I let it sit for 30 minutes and nothing. Don’t know what sort of information would be helpful, but here’s some stuff.

Ubuntu Mate 18.04
R9 290x
Mesa 18.1.5
Kernel 4.17.3
AMDGPU kernel in use

EDIT: UPDATE:
So I managed to get it to work, but I’m not really 100% sure what I did. So, what I can remember is that I removed it from my library and reinstalled the vulkan version through Lutris. I added the +r_renderapi 1 to the launch options inside of steam as well. Copied over the custom CChromaEditorLibrary.dll manually. Checked VCrun2015 in winetricks. Tried running in a virtual desktop. Unchecked and rechecked disable lutris runtime. Tried disabling my second monitor (though now it works with my second monitor on, so no idea if that had anything to do with it or not). Now it works. Played through the first level of the campaign and a few multiplayer rounds with no issues.

I confirmed with gloriouseggroll on his twitch channel that this is a new issue.
The old issue was that you needed vcrun2015.
This is something new and has caused doom 2016 to stop working.
He is looking into it.

Oh awesome then. :slight_smile: Well, not awesome, but glad that it’s not just on my end. Thanks for the heads up!

I end up with and error every time I try to run this game. It was working fine in the past, but not anymore!

https://steamcommunity.com/app/379720/discussions/0/1696043263502515818/

I had problems with the game crashing on launch leaving a black screen – it was trying to control my razor chroma mouse and keyboard

Is that the issue? 'Cause I’ve tried installing VC++'15 in winetricks, running a virtual dekstop, adding the renderapi +1 to both launch opens in steam and in lutris, etc. Nothing works. I do have a Razer Naga plugged in and a Razer Ornata Chroma (with the drivers installed and all that). I tried the custom chroma .dll but I thought it was added to the installer. Either way, that didn’t work either.

Same issue here, it’s a little dissapointing because Doom was the game I was most looking forward to playing in this latest linux game install spree since I never tried it out on linux before. It was not to be though, I have tried 3.6ge 3.13, even doing weird stuff like enabling DXVK and even trying different versions of it.

Edit: I am also using a black widow chroma Firefly and mamba te chroma with polychromatic

could be on to something the 1.666 update with chroma may not play well with wine.
BTW I’m running esync 3.13 and DXVK 0.63

So I managed to get it to work, but I’m not really 100% sure what I did. So, what I can remember is that I removed it from my library and reinstalled the vulkan version through Lutris. I added the +r_renderapi 1 to the launch options inside of steam as well. Copied over the custom CChromaEditorLibrary.dll manually. Checked VCrun2015 in winetricks. Tried running in a virtual desktop. Unchecked and rechecked disable lutris runtime. Tried disabling my second monitor (though now it works with my second monitor on, so no idea if that had anything to do with it or not). Now it works. Played through the first level of the campaign and a few multiplayer rounds with no issues.

I followed all your steps and now it’s working, I as well don’t know exactly what I did but I think I can further refine this by saying what seemed to work for me was actually updating winetricks to the latest version. I noticed when I went into winetricks from lutris that vcrun2015 was not checked. I had previously manually installed it but it remained unchecked. After updating winetricks vcrun2015 was now checked. I also turned off the openrazer driver service, I’m not sure if that had any effect. Everything else I did the same as you described above.

2 Likes

I reinstalled doom 2016 using the latest lutris script from the website and it worked immediately.
The graphics were buggered so I switched the settings from vulkan to opengl and it went perfect after that.

If this does not happen for you then I highly recommend you delete your wine prefix used for the game and start over. I had a bad prefix and it would never work.

Try on SteamPlay Proton work good!!