Do applications run using WINE get better with use?

This a general question to satisfy my own curiosity and to see if other people are noticing the same things.

One thing I noticed with Windows was that when I ran an application it’s performance would improve somewhat the more I used it. It would become more stable, slightly faster, etc. I attributed this primarily to caching. However, I am also noticing this with applications run using WINE. Applications that I run using WINE will mysteriously become more stable after I have run them several times.

Am I imagining this, or does WINE include some kind of automatic error detection and correction? Does it automatically link libraries that may be missing? Or am I imagining this phenomenon? I ask this because I know that WINE does automatically fix paths to executables it can’t find, and I have noticed this improved behaviour over time more than once.

Primarily what I’ve noticed that after I have run an application several times and there have been stability issues, they will mysteriously fix themselves, without my seeming to have done anything to fix them. Is anyone else noticing this?

That sounds like shader caching.

One is a d3d9 game which does use shaders, but the other is a 2d game which definitely does not use shaders. Maybe the explanation is just random updates, which happen all the time, but it’s weird that in both instances it went from random, but infrequent, lockups, to no lockups. It took as much as a week or two for that to happen, in both cases.

A week later I’ve figured some things out. The situation with one of the games is that I did indeed make some configuration changes that fixed the lockups when video ran. I just forgot what I had done. For the other game, I don’t remember, but it is probably something I changed as well. So probably nothing magical going on here, more’s the pity… :slight_smile: