Damnit, broke my lutris installation

This is on linux mint 21.2
The problem

2024-07-26 23:59:04,594: Starting Lutris 0.5.17
2024-07-26 23:59:04,630: AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT (1002:73ff 1043:05d1 amdgpu) Driver 24.1.4
2024-07-26 23:59:04,630: i386 libGL.so.1 missing (needed by opengl)
2024-07-26 23:59:04,630: i386 libvulkan.so.1 missing (needed by vulkan)
2024-07-26 23:59:07,059: Shutting down Lutris

what I tried

sudo apt install mesa-vulkan-drivers:i386

what it told me

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 mesa-vulkan-drivers:i386 : Depends: libdrm-amdgpu1:i386 (>= 2.4.110) but it is not going to be installed
                            Depends: libdrm2:i386 (>= 2.4.99) but it is not going to be installed
                            Depends: libllvm15:i386 but it is not going to be installed

and now I’m stuck…

p.s. if i try

sudo apt install libdrm2:i386
it basically wants to uninstall all of my graphics including cinnamon.

partial success.

I added the oibaf ppa

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers

I then explicitly installed libvulkan

sudo apt install libvulkan1:i386

but I can’t solve the missing libGL.so.1

trying the same trick

sudo apt install libgl1:i386

causes a huge dependency mess…

1. Don’t use oibaf unless you are testing and providing feedback - you are better off using kisak.
  2. You need to downgrade the Mesa back to Mint system packages using the tools provided by Mint, don’t use ppa-purge. The App is called Software Sources - select Maintenance → Downgrade foreign packages and select every package you have installed from oibaf ppa and downgrade them. Make sure there are no other Mesa packages listed. After this is down, click on PPAs and remove the oibaf PPA.
  3. At this point, why are you not running Mint 21.3?
  4. this is the command recommended for getting the dependencies for Ubuntu/Mint:
    sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 && sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade && sudo apt install libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 mesa-vulkan-drivers mesa-vulkan-drivers:i386
  5. If you want to use kisak (worth it but you need to downgrade packages before doing an upgrade), this is the command to add at the front of the command above
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kisak/kisak-mesa
  6. Lastly, Mint is about to drop LM 22, I would strongly recommend getting this as the current version of glibc on LM 21 is too old to allow many compiled wine and other apps to run.
1 Like

I forgot something very important - Timeshift.

It turns out I have timeshift running every day and it was a simple matter to revert back to the previous day. everything is working. I’m now a big fan of timeshift :slight_smile: This is the first time I’ve had to use it.

I did check to make sure that I was using the kisak repository

these instructions come from this page

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 && sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade && sudo apt install libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 mesa-vulkan-drivers mesa-vulkan-drivers:i386

lutris docs

which also says

NOTE: Mint is not supported and these instructions WILL NOT work in Mint without manual intervention that is outside the scope of this guide. Following them WILL leave your packages in a broken state!!

And yet, I’m pretty sure that’s exactly what I did when I first installed lutris.

It would be nice if someone (not me - I obviously have no idea what I’m doing :laughing:) could update that page to reflect whether or not it really breaks things.

Meanwhile I did upgrade to LM 21.3 and awaiting update instructions for 22 :smiley:

Thank you for your help !

the warning was for the kisak ppa with 21.0 and 21.1 which required you to manually edit the sources.list.d files to enable i386 support - we left the warning there because for some reason people were still using 21.0 or 21.1. Yes it did break things (like broken packages level) and until 22 releases, it is best to leave that up.

Timeshift is a saviour for borked things…