Creating a 'Name.desktop' launcher for apps menu and plank

Hello Lutris Forums. This is my first post here after trying to find the answer in these forums search tool as well as Google-Fu. First off, however I wanted to say that I’m impressed with how well made and easy to use Lutris is! I’m trying to move away from using playonlinux since it appears that most folks are switching from POL to Lutris these days. Many times when testing different distros I use POL with one particular app I use all the time. If the distro is well maintained the app functions fine and is updatable during the liveUSB. If it doesn’t work properly, there’s always a problem with ‘ntlm_auth’. Lutris, on the other hand, has never had a single problem regarding updating the app using ‘ntlm_auth’. There are pages and pages of questions about to to remedy the problem for POL, which I suspect is one of the many reasons people are moving away from it in favor of Lutris. So very well done!

Anyway, what I’d like to know is how to go about creating a ‘Name.desktop’ launcher to place into ‘~/.local/shared/applications’ (or wherever) so I can launch the wine app directly from the apps menu or Plank dock bypassing launching Lutris.

With POL this was fairly easy, make the dot-desktop file and include:
Exec=/usr/share/playonlinux/playonlinux --run “Game/App Name” %F

Is there a way to do this with Lutris? Is it basically the same except instead of /u/s/p/playonlinux it’s:
Exec=/u/s/lutris --run “Name” %F

Any info anybody you want to share will be quite helpful! Thanks a lot!

There’s a regression with that currently. https://github.com/lutris/lutris/issues/1720

I’m unfamiliar with the term ‘regression’, does that mean that this feature is currently unavailable but will be fixed? And once it’s fixed I’ll be able to use it with this command:
‘lutris lutris:rungame/game-name’
TY!

It means it worked in an earlier version of Lutris and doesn’t now. And yeah once it’s fixed you’ll be able to do that. Maybe in 0.5.1 not sure though.