Crash Age of Wonders 4 after start

I installed Age of Wonders 4 via the exe file from gog, but when I start the game it immediately stops, the following message is in the log:

Started initial process 9376 from gamemoderun taskset -c 0-15 /home/fuscator/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-GE-Proton8-2-x86_64/bin/wine start /unix /home/fuscator/Games/age-of-wonders-4/drive_c/GOG Games/Age of Wonders 4/Launch Age of Wonders 4.lnk
Start monitoring process.
ERROR: ld.so: object 'libgamemodeauto.so.0' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libinput-config.so' from /etc/ld.so.preload cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object 'libgamemodeauto.so.0' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libinput-config.so' from /etc/ld.so.preload cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored.
fsync: up and running.
wine: RLIMIT_NICE is <= 20, unable to use setpriority safely
Initial process has exited (return code: 0)
X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
  Major opcode of failed request:  156 (NV-GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  43 ()
  Serial number of failed request:  326
  Current serial number in output stream:  327
Monitored process exited.
Exit with return code 0

ubuntu 22.04 LTS, asus laptop, there are 2 video cards: built-in amd and discrete nvidia, nvidia driver version is 525, nvidia prime render offload is enabled in the lutris settings, wine uses lutris-GE-proton8-2-x86_64.
May you please hepl me to solve this problem?

1 Like

Hi there,

So far I don’t know anyone who has been able to get the GOG version of AOW4 running. Check this thread on the Paradox support forum:

The frustrating part is that the crash reporter crashes so we can’t even send proper crash reports to their support team – they do seem to be willing to take a look at them, even from us Linux users.

FYI I could start and play AOW4 by portproton with proton_steam_7.0-6, newest dxvk 2.1-51 and vkd3d 1.1-3339.

I’m using dxvk 2.1, vkd3d 2.8 and “D3D extras” v2 with lutris-GE-Proton-8.1.

Still new to lutris, is there some trick to getting the latest versions of dxvk and vkd3d?

Noticed that lutris-GE-Proton-8.2 just dropped and tried that… no dice, same set of assertions followup by crash on launch.

@fuscator , would switching to latest non-lutris wine (8.7 latest dev release IIRC?) and non-proton dxvk and vkd3d be worth a try do you think? As I mentioned, still pretty new to Linux gaming.

Edit: missed the “portproton” part of your blurb. Think I’ll stick with lutris for now, learning one runtime manager at a time is plenty for me. :smiley:

Edit2: adding the game to steam as a non-steam game and then running it with proton-8.02 worked like a charm.