Can't install Games: Exit with return code 256

I am using Manjaro Gnome and I always get this message when trying to install:

Started initial process 151815 from /usr/bin/winetricks --unattended corefonts
Start monitoring process.
Executing mkdir -p /home/andreas/Games
------------------------------------------------------
warning: You are using a 64-bit WINEPREFIX. Note that many verbs only install 32-bit versions of packages. If you encounter problems, please retest in a clean 32-bit WINEPREFIX before reporting a bug.
WINEPREFIX INFO:
Drive C: insgesamt 28
drwxr-xr-x  7 andreas andreas 4096 12. Jun 02:55 .
drwxr-xr-x  4 andreas andreas 4096 12. Jun 23:44 ..
drwxr-xr-x  3 andreas andreas 4096 12. Jun 02:54 ProgramData
drwxr-xr-x  6 andreas andreas 4096 12. Jun 02:54 Program Files
drwxr-xr-x  6 andreas andreas 4096 12. Jun 02:55 Program Files (x86)
drwxr-xr-x  4 andreas andreas 4096 12. Jun 02:54 users
drwxr-xr-x 21 andreas andreas 4096 12. Jun 02:55 windows

Registry info:
/home/andreas/Games/epic-games-store/system.reg:#arch=win64
/home/andreas/Games/epic-games-store/userdef.reg:#arch=win64
/home/andreas/Games/epic-games-store/user.reg:#arch=win64
warning: /home/andreas/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-fshack-7.2-x86_64/bin/wine cmd.exe /c echo '%AppData%' returned empty string, error message "" 
Monitored process exited.
Initial process has exited (return code: 256)
All processes have quit
Exit with return code 256

I have already deleted the Wine folder with this command:

rm -r ~/.wine

And then create a 32 bit prefix with this command:

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine wine wineboot

but nothing helps.

1 Like

Please try to install following these instructions:

Install Instructions

These are general instructions and it is a way to try when the easy way fails.

Hello, I am having the same issue as the OP even after following the instructions you linked and what the OP tried. This is what I’m seeing when trying to install the Battle.net launcher. This is ONLY a problem on Fedora from what I can tell since it worked fine on Ubuntu.

lutris-wrapper: /home/gpc/.local/share/lutris/runtime/winetricks/winetricks
Started initial process 9260 from /home/gpc/.local/share/lutris/runtime/winetricks/winetricks --unattended arial
Start monitoring process.
Executing mkdir -p /home/gpc/Games

warning: You are using a 64-bit WINEPREFIX. Note that many verbs only install 32-bit versions of packages. If you encounter problems, please retest in a clean 32-bit WINEPREFIX before reporting a bug.

Using winetricks 20220411-next - sha256sum: 50b745d7f46ead56fd0c9e6d753d53ea0ae368c988434c25d65fec66307e5d4f with wine-5.12-14607-g60d82d91abb (Staging) and WINEARCH=win64
Executing w_do_call arial
Executing mkdir -p /home/gpc/Games

Executing load_arial
Executing cabextract -q -d /home/gpc/Games/battlenet/dosdevices/c:/windows/temp /home/gpc/.cache/winetricks/corefonts/arial32.exe

warning: Running /home/gpc/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-GE-Proton7-16-x86_64/bin/wineserver -w. This will hang until all wine processes in prefix=/home/gpc/Games/battlenet terminate

Executing /home/gpc/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-GE-Proton7-16-x86_64/bin/wine regedit /S C:\windows\Temp_register-font.reg
wineserver: using server-side synchronization.
wine: RLIMIT_NICE is <= 20, unable to use setpriority safely
002c:fixme:winediag:LdrInitializeThunk wine-staging 7.0 is a testing version containing experimental patches.
002c:fixme:winediag:LdrInitializeThunk Please mention your exact version when filing bug reports on winehq.org.
wine: could not load kernel32.dll, status c0000135

warning: Note: command /home/gpc/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-GE-Proton7-16-x86_64/bin/wine regedit /S C:\windows\Temp_register-font.reg returned status 53. Aborting.

Initial process has exited (return code: 256)
Monitored process exited.
Exit with return code 256

Did you guys followed these instructions?

I did check those instructions before coming to look on the forums. The steps included there did not fix the issue unfortunately. I’m kind of at a loss for what the problem is.

Are you using KDE?

Also, i see you mentioned that you followed the instructions I linked but your log is not showing that. Please also use the ubuntu pastebin, it is clearer that way.

The idea in the process I linked is that you can basically try to install the application without the modifications done by the script which may not be needed in newer versions of wine.

It’s a problem on both KDE and Gnome versions of Fedora. I can try it again but the same error came up after going over the steps in that link a couple of times before. I’ll see if the log shows anything different after doing it again.

I have installed the Battle.Net launcher and had no issue:
Ubuntu Pastebin

Please compare it with your result, you might see where it went wrong.

Here are all the installed packages I have in my Arch system:
https://pastebin.ubuntu.com/p/Cgk7Q7GhJM/

Thank you for the tool Timeshift, I have rolled back Manjaro, then I installed Lutris and the dependency packages again in the correct order and now it works fine for me.

1 Like