Cannot install Steam runner

Hello, I’m on Fedora Siverblue and overlaid the Lutris package as the Flatpak version wouldn’t recognize the Vulkan libs. Lutris runs fine and I can install any runner I want except for the Steam Runner which means I can’t launch my Steam games through Lutris. Any suggestions?

Could you please run lutris with lutris -d and post the output here? (Use a pastebin like paste.ubuntu.com)

This is what happens:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/lutris/gui/lutriswindow.py", line 614, in on_game_activated
    self.application.launch(game)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/lutris/gui/application.py", line 384, in launch
    game.play()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/lutris/game.py", line 302, in play
    if not self.is_launchable():
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/lutris/game.py", line 272, in is_launchable
    installed = self.runner.install_dialog()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/lutris/runners/runner.py", line 270, in install_dialog
    self.install(downloader=simple_downloader)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/lutris/runners/steam.py", line 269, in install
    raise NonInstallableRunnerError(
lutris.runners.NonInstallableRunnerError: Steam for Linux installation is not handled by Lutris.
Please go to <a href='http://steampowered.com'>http://steampowered.com</a> or install Steam with the package provided by your distribution.

I guess I should just overlay steam instead of using the flaptak?

Ok I ended up installing Flatpak Lutris again and ran the command:

flatpak install org.gnome.Platform.Compat.i386

Select, flathub and then the latest Gnome desktop version and you’re good to go.
Also includes gamemode so that’s awesome for a system like mine or even Ubuntu. :smiley:

Now everything works like normal. :smiley:

1 Like

I have tried Fedora Workstation (various versions) in the past, and found it was too much work
to get Elite Dangerous to run successfully. Now, I run Pop_OS Linux with no problems, with
Elite Dangerous or any other Steam game. :slight_smile: Just give Pop_OS Linux (or Pop Linux) a go,
and you will find all you have to do is run Lutris in all its default settings, don’t change a thing
on Lutris, and difficult Steam games, like Elite Dangerous will run, and very well too, almost
like your in MS Windows 10 Pro. :slight_smile: Kind regards, Howard Pew.

I’ve tried PopOS, the only acceptable Debian distro imo but I’m an Arch person. Silverblue is my fav tho as it’s immutable and bleeding edge. Not an easy distro for sure but the best one for anyone wanting to try it out and having the persistence to stick it it. I have everything working now and all my games work up to now (altho I keep installing games from my Steam library) so I have no reason to change. Perhaps if a game doesn’t work I’ll go back to Manjaro (which I totally recommend) but for now I’m more than good. :smiley: