Box-Art Options In Lutris are Terrible

I moved to Linux a few months ago and I’ve been using the Heroic Games Launcher to play most of my games, but I decided to try out Lutris to see if it was any better. After spending some time with it, I can’t help feeling like it still needs a lot of work when it comes to presentation and box-art customisation.

To be honest, I couldn’t really get past the poor box-art customisation. I was trying to organise the games in my GOG, Epic and Steam libraries, but for some reason the icons were different for each platform … and most of the options were really ugly (except for Epic). It was a strange mix of vertical artwork, short banners, long banners and tiny icons. I was also confused by the sizing option as well, because it looked like some of the banners on GOG were slightly smaller than those on Epic. I’m guessing this comes down to scaling, but I would imagine that this sort of thing can be figured out by the programmers. I get that each storefront has their own way of doing things, but both GOG and Heroic have figured out a way to standardise the box-art across multiple platforms, so I don’t get why this is such an issue for Lutris. I realise that not everyone likes vertical box art, or horizontal box art, but you might as well stick with just one option and do it right, rather than mixing in a bunch of random options that don’t work together AT ALL.

I plan on checking back with Lutris in a year or two to see how things progress, but I have a feeling that nothing is really going to change. I could be wrong, but I’m assuming that if you haven’t fixed this already, then it’s probably not a priority for the developers. I’m not trying to bash the devs or anything, because they are amazing people, but you might want to bring a few people on your team that actually care about style and aesthetics.

1 Like